Broadcast Tests Conducted for ATSC 3.0 4K Ultra HD Video - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Staff

Default Broadcast Tests Conducted for ATSC 3.0 4K Ultra HD Video

Trials for the next-gen TV broadcast system are yielding positive results.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...hd-video/24395
Old 07-12-2015, 12:08 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

In the area that I live in a $150 roof antenna might get you TWO channels on a good day. One HD, one LD.

How I miss the Phoenix metro area : 7
Old 07-19-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
In the area that I live in a $150 roof antenna might get you TWO channels on a good day. One HD, one LD.
Probably about the same here. I had a 50' telescoping antenna pole, which probably actually goes up to about 40-44' after installation, and got only three channels (plus their sub-channels) that would come in well and probably another four or five that would come and go and generally be unwatchable. In the winter, things got a little better, because the leaves on the trees would fall off. One of the local cable tv techs told me that I should get a 70' tower, and that would get me all of the locals, as it would go over even the tallest trees here in the swamp. I've been on the lookout for a used 70' tower locally but haven't found any.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Not interested b/c it's not Lossless Video. No master at 4K=fail in my eyes.

I do find it interesting that this time AMERICANS came up with the new ATSC standard. It's a shame we didn't give credit to the Japanese and NHK for the current standard though.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

From everything I have read about ATSC 3.0, it's going to be 5 to 10 years before it's implemented. The broadcasters are in no hurry. As far as they are concerned, their new HDTV equipment is working fine and still being amotorized. It was one thing when digital TV became a government mandate. It's a whole 'nother animal when broadcasters are asked to make a voluntary upgrade of their equipment. They have to see big monetary returns to spend big money.

The biggest problem with ATSC 3.0 is there is no backwards compatibility. Nor will there be a cheap converter box.

First they have to complete all the testing and set all the standards. Then the TV manufacturers have to include ATSC 3.0 equipment in their TVs which consumers will have no use for at time of purchase, then the population of ATSC 3.0 installed TVs has to reach a substantial level before ATSC 3.0 is put on line.

Now you can see why it's going to be closer to 10 years than 5.