Cable and HD question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Cable and HD question

Posting from work now, since my only real access from home is via my PS3 and trying to type with that is a pain.

I just moved in with my brother (who's looking for a new place, so the current place will be all mine soon enough) and he's currently got digital cable and SD TVs. I know he has access to some of the HD stations, but they just show up with a black image on his screen. The sound comes through fine though.

After I hooked up my HDTV, I was hoping it'd show up, but it's the same story on my TV. But the one thing I'm wondering is, on the back of the box, there's an out which has a cable attached that leads right back into the box. He doesn't have a manual for the box, so I'm not sure what this is for, but I suspect if I run that out to the TV rather then back to the box, it'd bypass the box's tuner and I could then use my TV's digital tuner?
If not, what's the point of the lead running back into the box?

Otherwise, I'm getting the cable switched over to my name soon and will be sure to get HD boxes.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Special Member

This is just a guess but here it goes,

If you have SD boxes (which from your post it sounds like you do) all you will get is either scrambled or black pictures with sound. Your cable company is most likely encrypting their HD feed and it requires the HD box to decode it.

If you want to see if you can get some HD for free here is what you do....IF your TV has a QAM tuner then plug your cable line directly from the wall\splitter to the TV itself. Then run a scan of the channels. After its done scanning usually you will find you locals come in via HD and sometimes you will get "leak" feeds from other HD channels OR PPV channels. Myself, my TV has picked up the OnDemand feeds so that if someone has unlocked the feed for OnDemand for that perticular channel I can watch the program for free, sometimes its amusing to see people "FFW to the good parts" lol!!!!!!.....
Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
This is just a guess but here it goes,

If you have SD boxes (which from your post it sounds like you do) all you will get is either scrambled or black pictures with sound. Your cable company is most likely encrypting their HD feed and it requires the HD box to decode it.

If you want to see if you can get some HD for free here is what you do....IF your TV has a QAM tuner then plug your cable line directly from the wall\splitter to the TV itself. Then run a scan of the channels. After its done scanning usually you will find you locals come in via HD and sometimes you will get "leak" feeds from other HD channels OR PPV channels. Myself, my TV has picked up the OnDemand feeds so that if someone has unlocked the feed for OnDemand for that perticular channel I can watch the program for free, sometimes its amusing to see people "FFW to the good parts" lol!!!!!!.....
This also should work even if you only have internet through your cable provider (I don't get CW in Hd now that I switched to Directv and wanted to check. Standard cable doesn't come in (blocked), but the QAM tuner still works like a charm).