DIRECTV plans to offer 4K TV programming via Video on Demand later this year - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

Default DIRECTV plans to offer 4K TV programming via Video on Demand later this year

Before over the air ATSC 3.0 broadcasts with native 4K QUAD HD support becomes a reality, Direct TV might under ideal conditions offer native 4K QUAD HD video on demand programming this year over satellite and by late 2015 or early 2016 live 4K streaming. The plan is to roll out a new Direct TV satellite receiver that supports full 4K QUAD HD resolution by streaming and satellite. The new 4K QUAD HD satellite receivers will be able to offer 4K QUAD HD programming by downloading to the HD DVR, streaming, and in the next 18 months or so Direct TV plans on launching two more satellites to increase its bandwidth.

In several years from now one might see Verizon FIOS and other cable companies offer 4K QUAD HD programming also. Around 2016+ a 4K QUAD HD optical disc format might also launch for the consumer market.

It is believed that HEVC (High Efficiency Video Codec) will be used in the future by the cable companies and satellite companies to double their virtual bandwidth since HEVC offers double the virtual bandwidth when compared to the MPEG-4 codec (New consumer digital cable boxes and satellite receivers are needed). HEVC allows double the space for existing MPEG-4 HD channels and more room for 4K QUAD HD channels. The new 4K QUAD HD optical format will also most likely use HEVC. Some existing TV seasons on Blu-ray use four or five 50GB Blu-ray discs. With a new optical disc format that uses HEVC and with a 100GB size disc, it would be possible to place entire season on one complete disc at the existing 1080P quality if 4K source material did not exist for certain TV series. Having entire TV season on one disc would be ideal since none of the menu options would say insert disc number 2, 3, 4, etc. For some TV series that has native 4K source material, multiply 200GB discs would be used to maintain a high bit rate HEVC quality at 3840 x 2160 resolution.

The following are a few select quotses from the article

DIRECTV plans to offer 4K TV programming via Video on Demand later this year."

"White told the analysts that the company will provide VOD programming in the new 4K TV format later this year and will likely offer live 4K content via streaming late in 2015 or early 2016.

"The company is launching two new satellites over the next 18 months to expand its capacity to offer more services, including more HD channels and 4K.
http://www.tvpredictions.com/directv080114.htm
Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Staff

The satellite service provider intends to start offering Ultra HD content later this year.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-support/16909
Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Can we please refer to it as UHD and NOT 4K ?
If I owed you $4K would you consider it paid in full if I gave you $3840 ??

Directv sucks ass - even with UHD they will likely over compress the crap out of it, making a low-def dvd look as good.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Let's see if this takes off better than ESPN 3D and BBC 3D did.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Can we please refer to it as UHD and NOT 4K ?
If I owed you $4K would you consider it paid in full if I gave you $3840 ??

Directv sucks ass - even with UHD they will likely over compress the crap out of it, making a low-def dvd look as good.
If you give me $3840 I'll call it whatever you want.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 AM

Default Deja Vu?

Eerie. Do I hear an echo of the proposals of 2008 that certain bodies were getting prepared to launch regular 3D programming/channels? IOW. I'll believe it when I can see it.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 AM

UHD or Ultra High Definition. Worst label ever for a video format. Sounds like something a marketing department would invent and sounds so inconsequential. Much like a new flavour of toothpaste. 4k at least has a technical feel to it.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 PM

What will 8k be called? Super Ultra HD Turbo Championship Edition TV