Comcast and Time Warner Cable Set to Merge - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Staff

Default Comcast and Time Warner Cable Set to Merge

The two cable giants are officially set to merge into one massive technology and media company.

http://ir.timewarnercable.com/invest...y/default.aspx
Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 PM

Isn't that illegal? It is eliminating competition. And this royally sucks because Comcast is already bad enough as is that we don't need a shitastic company like Time Warner making Comcast even worse.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:47 PM

I've had Comcast for a while, I'm very happy with them.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Isn't that illegal? It is eliminating competition. And this royally sucks because Comcast is already bad enough as is that we don't need a shitastic company like Time Warner making Comcast even worse.
I don't think they were operating in the same markets, so no, it wouldn't be eliminating competition. As if there were any to begin with. Most consumer have a choice of ONE cable company, and then maybe a U-verse along with Direct TV and Dish. For internet, you have a choice of one cable company, DSL through the phone company and maybe U-Verse.

Anyone know if there are any markets where Comcast and Time Warner are both available and competing for cable subscribers?

Edit: This article points out that there isn't a single zip code where they both operate, so they aren't direct competitors (for customers) at all. That doesn't mean this is good for customers, but I think the primary goal is that the merged company will have greater leverage in negotiations with content providers, such as TV networks. Time Warner lost the standoff with CBS last year, and this merger would make a repeat with another provider less likely.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:47 AM

It's also incredibly scary for net neutrality. Which, is already dead.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
It's also incredibly scary for net neutrality. Which, is already dead.
It isnt already dead, the FCC just needs to get their heads out of their assess and qualify Cable as something else, but since they arent qualified as a public utility (and how they arent now a days is beyond me) they cant be regulated as such. Instead the FCC tried to impose shit on them as if they WERE a public utility and it got shot down. So the FCC needs to step up and redesign rules and get the cable companies where they need to be. The internet isnt a luxury anymore, its pretty much required and should be put into a public utility classification.

But I dont believe this is good for anyone, doesnt matter if they arent competing anywhere, Comcast has been in and out of trouble so many times, its been rated as one of the worst companies in Customer service for multiple years, but merging with another company that just happens to be #2 under them will fix all of this? Its bullshit really and it will just lead to them having more power overall, I mean they already own NBC and tons of channels, so they become the biggest provider out there and decide their content from NBC will only be shown on their stuff. It can happen now and the FCC and everyone else let it happen.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM

First off, most, if not all cable companies are PRIVATE BUSINESSES!!! Cable companies have to actually survive by billing customers, paying programming fees, paying their employees, etc. Many cable companies do not receive Government Subsidies/Grants like Telco's do. Telco's do not have to survive on actually making a profit because, many cases, they are subsidized by the US Government!

Where I live, in Kansas, a local telephone company has received hundreds of millions in grant money and loans from the government over the past 30 years. Most of the time, it has been in Grant Money (they don't have to pay it back) which has allowed this telephone company to move in repeatedly on various cable operations, all over Kansas, overbuild them (fiber to the home), with taxpayer dollars, and in some cases, eventually force the cable operator out of business. A few years ago, this same telco received a $50 million dollar grant plus a another $50 million loan from the USDA. The Department Of Agriculture!!! Now explain that one! $100 million grant/loan to overbuild the existing cable operator with TV, Internet, and Telephone services from the US Department that oversees crops, farming, etc. paid for by the US taxpayer.

Futhermore, these same LEC's (Local Exchange Carriers) have been receiving monthly subsidies from the US Government for decades. In some cases, this has amounted to around $300 per month, per customer, paid to the Telco by the US Government while Cable Operators typically receive zilch. No wonder these Telco's can expand endlessly all of the US since they don't have to make any money and are supported, in part, by the US taxpayer.

Cable operators, furthermore, do not have a monopoly on anything. There are so many providers out there, as stated above, from Government Subsidized Telcos to Direct TV to Dish Network, etc. If you don't like Comcast or Time Warner then switch to a Telco and/or Dish Provider!!

The US Government subsidizing Telcos is just another good example of the government wanting to squash private businesses on the back of the US taxpayer.

Good for Comcast and Time Warner. I hope it happens.

Last edited by awarlock; 02-14-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarlock View Post
First off, most, if not all cable companies are PRIVATE BUSINESSES!!! Cable companies have to actually survive by billing customers, paying programming fees, paying their employees, etc. Many cable companies do not receive Government Subsidies/Grants like Telco's do. Telco's do not have to survive on actually making a profit because, many cases, they are subsidized by the US Government!

Where I live, in Kansas, a local telephone company has received hundreds of millions in grant money and loans from the government over the past 30 years. Most of the time, it has been in Grant Money (they don't have to pay it back) which has allowed this telephone company to move in repeatedly on various cable operations, all over Kansas, overbuild them (fiber to the home), with taxpayer dollars, and in some cases, eventually force the cable operator out of business. A few years ago, this same telco received a $50 million dollar grant plus a another $50 million loan from the USDA. The Department Of Agriculture!!! Now explain that one! $100 million grant/loan to overbuild the existing cable operator with TV, Internet, and Telephone services from the US Department that oversees crops, farming, etc. paid for by the US taxpayer.

Futhermore, these same LEC's (Local Exchange Carriers) have been receiving monthly subsidies from the US Government for decades. In some cases, this has amounted to around $300 per month, per customer, paid to the Telco by the US Government while Cable Operators typically receive zilch. No wonder these Telco's can expand endlessly all of the US since they don't have to make any money and are supported, in part, by the US taxpayer.

Cable operators, furthermore, do not have a monopoly on anything. There are so many providers out there, as stated above, from Government Subsidized Telcos to Direct TV to Dish Network, etc. If you don't like Comcast or Time Warner then switch to a Telco and/or Dish Provider!!

The US Government subsidizing Telcos is just another good example of the government wanting to squash private businesses on the back of the US taxpayer.

Good for Comcast and Time Warner. I hope it happens.
How is big private business any better in these situations? Comcast who has consistently been rated the worst in customer service and has tried to do so much crap to screw over their customers, should just be allowed to do whatever they want? Control most of the areas and provide the biggest service in the entire country, while also owning their own broadcast channels, that really at any time could just be shut off to other cable or satellite providers? I've rarely heard anything good about Comcast from anyone out there in cyber space, unhappy people all the time but no other choice on internet in their area, sure they could go with Satellite for their TV service but Internet is the biggest need here for people and usually you have no other choice outside of a much slower DSL connection. So yes, Cable companies do have a monopoly in their areas. I would love for Verizon to come up in my area north of Pittsburgh, but they cant because my cable provider owns all the lines and the right aways.

Your PRIVATE ISPs are putting more caps in place, are charging more money for data/bandwidth (which we all know is a big joke), all while cutting channels, usually providing terrible customer service, having awful equipment/hardware and yet they keep upping their prices all the time. As big PRIVATE business gets bigger and bigger like this, they become more powerful and harder to stop when they screw over the customer. Its bad enough the big guys like Comcast and Verizon are now charging Netflix to have better "access" to their network and the FCC sits back and thinks this is okay.

In a lot of areas, companies like Time Warner have fought hard, paid the right people and stopped competition, like those Telco's you seem to hate so much, from coming into the area to provide OTHER options for customers. it isnt good, no matter how you try and spin it. America is the worst place for PRIVATE business, Greed AND Government, we as a people are really just screwed in general