Intel is Working on an IPTV Service - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Intel is Working on an IPTV Service

According to reports, it could launch as early as 2012

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/12/i...y-end-of-2012/
Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 PM

I think this would need ISPs to come on board, because they're really killing consumers with bandwidth limits and overuse charges these days.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 PM

This is going to be a tough business, all I can offer is good luck Intel. I use a Logitech Revue Google TV with Intel Atom CE4100 processor and the next generation of Google TV devices are apparently all going to use ARM processors, Marvell and others. I see a lot of companies lining up to compete for a market that isn't willing to pay much for the product or any services associated with the product. Roku, Apple, Google, Intel, Cisco, several CE companies and how many others are fighting for something that may not be worth fighting for.

I don't know the solution to the bandwidth issues but one thing I am doing, accessing low quality files to limit bandwidth used. I do rent Vudu HDX some but most other streaming choices are of files a small fraction of the Vudu files streamed. Most of the time, I believe the bitrate is less than 1,000Kbps and file size for the program about 500Mb.

I hope Intel is successful and comes up with a great streaming box for about $50 and can make a profit selling it but I sure don't understand how that can be possible.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
HDD Editor

Post Intel's Planned Internet TV Service Rumored to be Part of Massive Testing of New Box

2,000 employees in three states testing set top box and streaming service.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3838[/ATTACH]

Intel has long been rumored to be working to break into the living room with some kind of content delivery device. As detailed in The Seattle Times, Intel is finally talking about bringing those plans to fruition.

Eric Free, vp and general manager at Intel, "Ultimately we want to deliver a better form of television. We’re very confident we’ll get the content we need to launch later this year."

Naturally, a big part of the chip maker's plan is delivering a set top box ready to compete with the likes of Time Warner, DirecTV, Apple, Roku, and Microsoft. Intel's "The Black Box Project" is not only underway, but is reportedly reaching the homes of 2,000 Intel employees spread throughout California, Arizona, and Oregon.

Despite the massive testing group, the hardware and software involved is said to be far removed from the planned final product, and the testing is focused more on the logistics of delivering Internet TV.

Ultimately, Intel may be wise to offer trial versions of the final product to consumers in the hopes of building a user base and proving that their TV content solution is as viable as, if not more than, other options.

CNET
Attached Thumbnails
Intel is Working on an IPTV Service-intel_box.jpg  
Old 06-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Intel is not capable of being competitive - all I can say is best of luck.