DirecTV Gains Subscribers in U.S., Massive Jump in Latin America - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
HDD Contributor

Default DirecTV Gains Subscribers in U.S., Massive Jump in Latin America

Customer retention is now the main focus for the U.S. side of the company.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...16-715133.html
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
DirecTV has increased spending in the U.S. with a focus on retaining customers
I think we will find for 2012 this is exactly opposite of what they're claiming to be doing. With monthly bills going UP on a very regular basis and loss of channels to upper tiers, I think their downward turn will be just beginning. My household has two tv's and Choice Extra, with all the possible discounts the bill is about $80 a month. Choice Ultimate is the only tier above Extra, to which we JUST lost the Cloo network to the next tier up. We just installed a different tv in the house and the tv does not have S video connectors on it, but does have component inputs. Directv will gladly give us a "free" HD receiver upgrade, but the "Free" HD service requires a $10 access fee. This is sort of like "Free" DVR receivers but you have to pay an additional $6 a month for the receiver to do what it's supposed to do.
With some of the WORST picture quality on the planet, Directv continues for quantity rather than quality. They see how many channels they can squeeze per transponder, often times with bit rates at or below 1.5Mbps per channel. Banding, oh yeah, we got it, total lack of detail in the picture, got that too. I have very seriously contemplated getting Dish Network because of the PQ improvement but am annoyed by their forced ads in their program guide. And they wonder why people are totally cutting the cord and going Netflix or other services.