Time-Warner Cable and TiVo desktop - I hate Time-Warner Cable! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM

Default Time-Warner Cable and TiVo desktop - I hate Time-Warner Cable!

So I went out and bought the new TiVo Premier Elite and the lifetime service package. I really enjoy TiVo and think that it is a hundred times better than Time-Warner's shitty DVR service. Here's the rub though:

You cannot use the TiVo Desktop software to transfer recordings from the TiVo to your computer. Time-Warner applies copy protection to EVERYTHING instead of simply the premium channels.

I contacted Time-Warner and they were less than helpful:

Eldridge: You are unable to copy the recordings from Tivo to your computer. Correct?
Tony_: right
Eldridge: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Eldridge: I will be glad to help you with the right information.
Tony_: Thanks!
Eldridge: You are welcome.
Eldridge: Is the Tivo provided by us?
Tony_: No. I have a cable card and I have purchased a TiVo Premium Elite DVR.
Tony_: The cable service is provided by Time-Warner.
Tony_: The TiVo support person said that they have nothing to do with the copy protection.
Eldridge: The transfer of recording from the Tivo to computer depends on the Tivo if it has a proper arrangement or slot to connect with the computer.
Eldridge: Our cable boxes or Tivo does not have an arrangement to connect with the computer nor supports it.
Tony_: TiVo has TiVo Desktop for that specific purpose.
Tony_: That is an advertising point as well.
Eldridge: You would need to contact the Tivo provider if they have this facility with their Tivo.
Tony_: I contacted them this morning because all of the shows have a red X and they said that it is because Time-Warner is sending the signal with copy protection.
Tony_: Video content such as TiVo instruction videos and such transfer with no issue.
Tony_: Anything recorded from Time-Warner has a red X designating copy protection.
Tony_: They also stated that only premium channels should be copy protected.
Tony_: The other channels should not.
Eldridge: The recorded shows can not be transferred to the computer with our cable boxes or Tivo. We are unable to help you the Tivo provided by other provider.
Tony_: It has to do with the CableCard
Tony_: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...id/243/kw/copy
Tony_: under: Digital Signal Copy Protection Policies for TiVo Series3, TiVo HD and Premiere
Eldridge: Our cable card does not support recordings transfer to the computer.
Eldridge: I am unable to visit the above link.

I contacted TiVo again and they confirmed that the TiVo simply gets a signal through the cable card and the copy protection is 100% in the hands of Time-Warner. I called Time-Warner on the phone and got to a supervisor and was told that there is nothing that they can or will do about it.

Fios allows transfers of recordings, but FIOS is not available in my area.

One major reason I bought the TiVo has been ruined by Time-Warner Cable.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Is this the case even with local network channels? I believe Time Warner is prevented by regulation, probably FCC, from using the CCI byte for copy once or copy never with those networks. I am using TiVoHD with OTA and can transfer all of my recordings. You might read about the restrictions and what Time Warner is required to do before contacting them again. As far as the pay channels, I believe it is up to the rights owners and they may be able to restrict programming to copy once, the TiVo recording would be the once. Here is a Wikipedia article to start with if you want to research the issue and contact TW with information and knowledge of your rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

I didn't read it but a glance made me think it would be a good place to start.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 AM

Chris: they restrict every single recording... all channels. They suck.

I will read that article though and see if there is anything in the universe that can be done.

THANKS!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM

I finally got to write a review (and vent) about the hell TimeWarner Cable has given me for years now and I feel great like a weight off.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:17 AM

TWC is the absolute WORST is customer service and service in general. I have had nothing but problems for years. Cable failing, phone losing signal, and especially internet issues. I work from home nad my VPN drops and average of 15 times a DAY.