Analyst Says Same-Day Theatrical and VOD Releases Would Help Industry - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Analyst Says Same-Day Theatrical and VOD Releases Would Help Industry

He says that folks who are planning on seeing movies in theaters won't be swayed by the VOD offerings

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/vod...l-movies-26219
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM

I have to agree if the price is right. I used to go to the movies all the time, now I'm lucky to get out once a year. I would rent my share of movies at $20, anymore then that I'm not too sure.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:10 PM

$15-$20 would be about right for same day, honestly I'd like to see same day bare-bones blu-ray, then 3-6 months later with the special editions with all the extra features and whatnot.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM

1. Sorry, I don't go to the movies for the "Social Experience." I go because I want to see a movie on the big screen the way it was made for.

2. It's going to cost $30-$50 most likely for VOD. To help cut piracy? Most places sell priated movies in a bundle for 3 for $5. So don't think this will help piracy.

If you really want to help piracy and get more people in theater chairs try reducing the ticket price and stop the ridiculous upcharge for every little thing like 3D, extra big screen, extra big screen with 3D, etc..
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm2000 View Post
1. Sorry, I don't go to the movies for the "Social Experience." I go because I want to see a movie on the big screen the way it was made for.

2. It's going to cost $30-$50 most likely for VOD. To help cut piracy? Most places sell priated movies in a bundle for 3 for $5. So don't think this will help piracy.

If you really want to help piracy and get more people in theater chairs try reducing the ticket price and stop the ridiculous upcharge for every little thing like 3D, extra big screen, extra big screen with 3D, etc..
I believe some people would be willing to pay if given option to rent theater movies day one. They will never stop piracy!! This may help piracy out with hd quality rips out when the movie hits theaters, but like I said they will never stop piracy. This will only work if the price is right. Even now they have pre-theater vod releases that are under $15 so I doubt they will ever charge $50 which is more then even 3d blu-rays cost at retail.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM

I have no interest in paying $30 for a movie rental at home and will do as I always do for a must see, wait for the Blu-ray release to rent it or buy it. I don't think it can be priced low enough to interest me, would require $15 max and even then would have to be a movie the grandchildren want to see. Lesser movies can wait even longer and will be Redbox, Blockbuster or streaming rental when the price is right.