HDTV in Bars...Not! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Unhappy HDTV in Bars...Not!

I was sipping some single malt at the bar in an upscale place last night, watching the fuzzy baseball game on one channel and a fuzzy talk show on the other; both on nice, big plasma TVs. On the shelf, I could see the two standard TW cable boxes meaning they were stuck in low-def-land.

Crazy thing is, Time Warner will give you the HD cable box at no additional charge, and they bring it to you when you call.

I notice a lot of these flat screens in bars & restaurants and it seems like most of the time I'm watching standard-def ESPN, etc, stretched wide. What's up with that? I read somewhere that 40% of the HDTVs aren't connected to HD signals, but I get the feeling that ratio is about double that in bars and restaurants.

Is it the same where you are?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 AM

Smile

Yes it's the same where I go to as well. 5 plasmas but yet they still only subscribe to regular cable. It would have been nice to watch the all star game in HD on Tuesday when I usually go out.
Mischa.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Yeah, it's pretty common for this. They don't have a clue and just have the "flat screens" because they are cool looking. Cool looking as in the TV itself not the HD picture. Luckily there is a sports bar about 2 miles away that does have HD on it's flat panels and widescreen projection screens.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:32 PM

I think we really need more consumer education in the realm of HD basics. What equipment is needed, how to get it and why. This could really get awareness up. That would translate to more people having "AHA!" moments when they realize all they need is an HD STB or OTA Tuner to make the fuzzy picture on there $5,000 plasma turn into artwork in motion. Someday maybe....
Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 PM

There were quite a few sports bars in College Station that had HD broadcasting. I've yet to find one since I moved to Beaumont.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 PM

The Buffalo Wild Wings here in town has HD on their huge projectors. That's all I need.