OTA Broadcast Loses Viewers - CEA Recommends Auctioning the Spectrum - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
HDD Contributor

Default OTA Broadcast Loses Viewers - CEA Recommends Auctioning the Spectrum

Only eight percent of people are getting their TV through over-the-air broadcasts.

http://www.twice.com/article/469349-...ng_Viewers.php
Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM

I love OTA. I get great prime time shows, in HD, at a higher quality than cable or satellite, for absolutely free. My DVR makes every show on-demand.

It boggles my mind that only 8% of us get TV this way. To me, cable/sat is $100 a month for 400 channels of crap.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I love OTA. I get great prime time shows, in HD, at a higher quality than cable or satellite, for absolutely free. My DVR makes every show on-demand.

It boggles my mind that only 8% of us get TV this way. To me, cable/sat is $100 a month for 400 channels of crap.
Yep.

It boggles my mind even more that with the percentage of people out of work, on some sort of assistance, or are running through their savings..are still paying for cable television.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM

No ESPN OTA so no can do for me.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Yeah. I just got rid of Comcast and switched to OTA. It just made sense for our pocket book. $70+ a month is too much to spend for TV.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM

A bad idea whose real goal is to bring an end to "free" TV and force everybody to sign up with a cableco, satellite and/or internet supplier. Must be resisted or we're all going to be sorry.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM

I agree with the reasoning, but quesiton the numbers. http://www.walletpop.com/2010/06/11/...s-later-was-i/ states that 46.2 million converter boxes were sold just through the government issued coupons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televis..._United_States says there are 327 million television sets in the us. This means that roughly 14.5 percent of the televisions in the US get their programming from OTA broadcasts.

But this really shouldn't matter - it shouldn't be up to the CEA to determine this, but rather up to the individual stations and networks to determine if a specific market generates enough OTA viewers to justify the cost of operating a transmission tower, or if they just want to do a satellite feed to the Cable / Satellite providers.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

All the best shows on television are on cable channels. Network television pales in comparison.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
A bad idea whose real goal is to bring an end to "free" TV and force everybody to sign up with a cableco, satellite and/or internet supplier. Must be resisted or we're all going to be sorry.
Exactly. We just sit by while the government sells off everything that is ours. You can't camp, fish, boat, or wipe your ass without a permit.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM

The NY Times ran an article a few months ago that claimed OTA usage was up so I have a hard time taking this at face value.

Unless stations can prove that OTA is losing them money and cannot find anyone willing to buy the station from them, then they should be required to be a public broadcaster like their license says.

As far as I can tell city OTAs are still a license to print money.