James Cameron, Michael Bay and More Speak Out Against Premium VOD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
HDD Contributor

Default James Cameron, Michael Bay and More Speak Out Against Premium VOD

Among the reasons, they cite the ever sliding price point of entertainment.

http://www.natoonline.org/pdfs/PDF%2...%204.20.11.pdf - (PDF)

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/vod...mium-vod-23730
Old 04-22-2011, 04:01 PM

$30.00 after 60 days? LOL! Why doesn't Cameron and company find humor in this.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM

I believe that the future of first run film is in home video sales. They could make a fortune selling streaming first run films to homes for $30 the same day as theatre release.
It would remain to be seen how much damage this did to theatre sales because a lot of people really like seeing films with very large screens and theatre sound or just as a social event.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Wow, a real Who's Who list of directors and producers that are against PVOD. How refreshing to see that even film community leaders understand that PVOD is a bad idea, producing long-term losses for short-term gains. I agree that pushing this through, if the studios had their way, will fundamentally change the movie-going experience with irreversible effects.

I think that in their haste to combat the rising tides of Netflix and other streaming services, the studios are rashly dismissing the theaters as a financially viable option. Sure, physical sellthrough is not what is once was, in relation to DVD sales; however, the physical packaged media market overall remains the second largest revenue driver next to box office sales. Releasing PVOD out of the bottle will not only cannibalize these markets, but will also disincentivize patrons from ever stepping foot into a theater. IMO, they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm not going to bother to read that but i'll mention this, what about movies like Super? It's stuck in a limited release jam and it seems like it will never receive a wide release. Also, according to what i would imagine is the real James Gunn on Facebook, he mentioned they've made a nice amount of money thanks to VOD. Another movie being a limited release and i don't believe saw a VOD was Kill the Irishman..I do love how it's top blockbuster directors who are having the heart attack. No matter what they think will solve the money problem they will always lose to piracy..you will always have devoted moviegoers who love the big screen and theater feel, along with those who have no issue purchasing bd/ dvd and other home media formats. You'll never stop the piracy though, it's a shame but it will always exist for numerous reasons (not all are bad intentions)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM

How many "state‐of‐the‐art
 theaters
 bolstered 
by 
the 
latest 
in 
digital 
projection,
 digital 
sound,
 and
 stadium 
seating" do you have nearby? The main reason I stopped going to movie theaters is because of the crappy projection quality, out of focus picture, often tilted, tear in the screen, crappy sound... run by teens who know nothing about movie projection, not to mention crumbling paper, noisy people, crying babies. AMC in a nutshell. Even the higher-end chains take shortcuts and do not get it right very often.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexVik View Post
How many "state‐of‐the‐art
 theaters
 bolstered 
by 
the 
latest 
in 
digital 
projection,
 digital 
sound,
 and
 stadium 
seating" do you have nearby? The main reason I stopped going to movie theaters is because of the crappy projection quality, out of focus picture, often tilted, tear in the screen, crappy sound... run by teens who know nothing about movie projection, not to mention crumbling paper, noisy people, crying babies. AMC in a nutshell. Even the higher-end chains take shortcuts and do not get it right very often.
I have at least 4. One really close to my house, one close to my house, one near where I work and one on the way home from work. And I don't live in a major metropolitan area.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 PM

Have to roll my eyes on this one, the era of 49.99 laserdiscs and 29.99 VHS tapes are over, and who wants a return to that? Yeah if you are blowing 250 millon dollars on a special fx bonanza fest you are going to try and grab every bit of cash you an, but I can say if not for VOD services like Netflix, I would not have seen alot of foreign and independant releases that have an actual plot and non-wooden acting. I'm more concerned about VOD hurting the disc market though leading to the death of extras and bonus features.

Film makers should care more about what preserves the integrity of the art of film first and profits second.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 PM

I'm sure that I'm not in the minority here,but how many people are going to pay thirty freaking dollars to see a movie at home. I can go see the movie for less in the theater, and not have to wait sixty days. This would only be beneficial to larger groups of people at a thirty dollar price point. I don't think these directors have anything to worry about.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexVik View Post
The main reason I stopped going to movie theaters is because of the crappy projection quality, out of focus picture, often tilted, tear in the screen, crappy sound... run by teens who know nothing about movie projection, not to mention crumbling paper, noisy people, crying babies. AMC in a nutshell. Even the higher-end chains take shortcuts and do not get it right very often.
Nearly all of the State of the Art screens in Silicon Valley are IMAX or 3D, neither of which I'm going to shell out the premium for. All the other bits about the theater chains not giving a rip about what happens after you get your money, well that's spot on. If Silicon Valley had a complex like Arc Light in LA, I would gladly pay the extra cost.

Oh yeah. Not paying for PVOD either. I've got a pretty good HT system and no issues with waiting for a BD to come from Netflix.