TheDickWard is offline HDD Contributor

Default AMC Theaters Issue a Statement on Premium VOD

Rather than a threat, the release is simply an appeal to eliminate the idea for the sake of theaters.

http://www.investor.amctheaters.com/...leaseID=565192

gle_helle is offline Member

Am I missing something (I usually am)? What is the appeal of pVoD?

I read that it's a $30 "rental" of a movie that's been in theaters for two months (unless it's still making "significant" money) instead of waiting another month to rent it for $1 from Red Box or $5 for regular VoD.

Is that right? There's a market for this?

onthecake is offline Member

I dont get it either.... I can see where AMC is coming from as the theaters make much more off each screening of a film after its been out a couple weeks but I dont see myself ever dropping $30 on a home screening I dont own.

The fact that these things will be on torrents within a couple hours of a broadcast tells me any film the studios pick for VOD are already dead in the theater.

vindrus is offline Member

On the one hand there is a market for this, after all people who have trouble getting out of the house to go to a theater would get a chance to see the movies quicker, or people with a whole lot of kids could let them all see the movie for $30 instead of shelling out cash for individual tickets plus a trip to the snack bar. So on the plus side it may be a boon to the studios get a lot of people who may not have been able to swing by and see it in the theater to pay the cost of buying the DVD a couple of month later to pay for a rental now.
    On the negative side for the theaters, the people who would not go to the theater anyways are not the only ones that would make use of this service as groups of friends who would otherwise all by tickets and visit the snack bar could decide to this instead so they can sit around watching that new movie with their own choice of refreshment and not have the restrictions that they would have in a movie theater.
    Then of course there is always the possibility that the studios would shrink that window for in theaters before its available for premium VOD down over time till when the movie theaters have lost one of their main advantages.
    Some people would resist the idea because while Home Theaters have made the whole at home movie experience more theater like for most of us it is still not anywhere like that huge screen. That could help save the theaters for a while with people still wanting to see it in the theater, but eventually something would most likely happen where those resisting the idea will not be able to get to the theater for a movie they really want to see right away and they may decide to use the Premium VOD just this once to see that movie with no intention of doing it again but although the experience is not the same expedience often wins the day and it would be all too easy for the VOD service to whittle away at the movie theaters.

Another down side is that movie makers make movies with the movie screen in mind so if VOD really takes off to where it really harms the movie theaters then Hollywood may start making their movies with TV screens being their targeted format.

I am just hypothesizing off the top of my head, and could be totally of base but I do not think that this premium VOD is really a good idea.

twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by gle_helle View Post
    Is that right? There's a market for this?
    Yes.

$30 is a pretty reasonable price when you take into account the additional costs that goes with going to a theater. I spend almost that much buying two tickets. Then add in the drop of value when someone decides to talk, text, or change their kid's diaper right next to you.

I can't stand 3D. So, I don't appreciate the additional costs thrown onto it. It's a terrible format. I like IMAX, but generally the IMAX format is "FAKE" IMAX. Again, don't like the additional costs being thrown on just to get a respectable screen.

There are few theaters that I find are holding onto their value. I love the theatrical showcase. But, it's been getting rough to defend the decline.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

SilentNight is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Yes.

$30 is a pretty reasonable price when you take into account the additional costs that goes with going to a theater. I spend almost that much buying two tickets. Then add in the drop of value when someone decides to talk, text, or change their kid's diaper right next to you.

I can't stand 3D. So, I don't appreciate the additional costs thrown onto it. It's a terrible format. I like IMAX, but generally the IMAX format is "FAKE" IMAX. Again, don't like the additional costs being thrown on just to get a respectable screen.

There are few theaters that I find are holding onto their value. I love the theatrical showcase. But, it's been getting rough to defend the decline.
    totally agree with you on the obnoxious movie goers. Almost every time I go to the movies, there are idiots in the theater texting, talking to each other or talking on their cell phones. This totally takes me out of the experience. $30 is still a bit steep but I'm still for it. Get a group of people over to the theater room, split the cost and you've saved gas money, snack money and annoying crowds.
    Epson 1080UB, PS3 and 161" Draper Screen...pure theater bliss!
    movie list: http://silentnight29.dvdaf.com/owned/blu-ray-disc

Hunk Golden is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
    totally agree with you on the obnoxious movie goers. Almost every time I go to the movies, there are idiots in the theater texting, talking to each other or talking on their cell phones. This totally takes me out of the experience. $30 is still a bit steep but I'm still for it. Get a group of people over to the theater room, split the cost and you've saved gas money, snack money and annoying crowds.
    Re: Azzholes at the theater... (Rude) People are morons. Theaters are cheap cowards who don't want to spend the $$ or deal with the hassle of policing theaters. That's 99% of it. But if more people would refuse to put up with bad behavior, I feel there'd be less of it. Understandably, you have no idea of someone is packing an uzi these days. Maybe that's why ppl put up with it. I don't know. I pretty much refuse to put up with it. I've also scaled way back in my movie-going though, as I get tired of playing Wyatt Earp at the theater.

I wouldn't pay $30 when I could rent it in 4-8 weeks for a fraction of that. If they moved the window foward (a month after opening in theaters), maybe. If they dropped the $30 price, maybe. If they included the Blu-ray as part of the VOD purchase, maybe. Otherwise, I'll see those few that I choose to see in theaters...in theaters. The others I'll rent.

GizmoDVD is offline Banned

Good luck with this AMC. The future is not sitting in a room with a bunch of people TXTing and babies crying eating $8 Popcorn and $7 Pepsi.

Wolvie is offline Member

The writing is on the wall for theater owners...and they know it. Who's willing to endure the insufferable chatterers, overpriced food and drinks, and the trip hassle when all of this can be eliminated in the comforts of one's own home? I won't pay for premium VOD at this price point, but I know people who would.

Vindrus brings up an interesting point. After all, Hollywood switched from pillarbox to widescreen movies to combat the rising popularity of the tube TV. Now that the television has caught up, could another "standard" be in the works? (4K, 3D and IMAX don't count.)
    Last edited by Wolvie; 04-15-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Jables is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
    The writing is on the wall for theater owners...and they know it. Who's willing to endure the insufferable chatterers, overpriced food and drinks, and the trip hassle when all of this can be eliminated in the comforts of one's own home?
    I rarely, if ever, go to the theater myself, but let's realize this: if the studios harm the theaters, they're shooting themselves in the foot. Killing the theater will kill them shortly after.

For a lot of people, it's all about going out. Sure, there's a few "must see" movies per year--the ones people would watch at home. But all those silly romantic comedies and such? They're mostly forgettable and totally fungible. Couples go see those for a date night; unlikely they'll stay in to watch it, since it's not about watching the movie itself. At the very least, a whole lot of movies will take a significant hit in sales. All those people who go to movies just to go out will be lost sales.

Angering theaters probably isn't a good idea either. I do have to wonder if theaters think they were sold a bill of goods with 3D. They spent a lot of money to upgrade their equipment for it--but are they really seeing better attendance to justify it anymore? (Don't answer that, not the right forum for it.) Every time Hollywood slights the theaters, it makes it harder for them to get the next thing they want--7.1 sound, or smell-o-vision (whatever).

Wolvie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jables View Post
    I rarely, if ever, go to the theater myself, but let's realize this: if the studios harm the theaters, they're shooting themselves in the foot. Killing the theater will kill them shortly after.

For a lot of people, it's all about going out. Sure, there's a few "must see" movies per year--the ones people would watch at home. But all those silly romantic comedies and such? They're mostly forgettable and totally fungible. Couples go see those for a date night; unlikely they'll stay in to watch it, since it's not about watching the movie itself. At the very least, a whole lot of movies will take a significant hit in sales. All those people who go to movies just to go out will be lost sales.

Angering theaters probably isn't a good idea either. I do have to wonder if theaters think they were sold a bill of goods with 3D. They spent a lot of money to upgrade their equipment for it--but are they really seeing better attendance to justify it anymore? (Don't answer that, not the right forum for it.) Every time Hollywood slights the theaters, it makes it harder for them to get the next thing they want--7.1 sound, or smell-o-vision (whatever).
    Valid points. No question that the studios and theater chains have a symbiotic relationship, with the same goals in mind...making money. The failure in this equation is that theater owners have not lived up to their end, to make the movie-watching experience a "must see" in theaters. Date night should not include rude patrons or exorbitant prices, nor would it be an experience that I'd imagine any couple wanting to pay for.

IMO the problem is not lack of new technology, but lack of customer awareness/care. No 3D or 20D will fix that.
    Last edited by Wolvie; 04-20-2011 at 06:07 PM.