Theaters Won't Screen Movies Released as Premium VODs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Theaters Won't Screen Movies Released as Premium VODs

At least two theater chains will be boycotting any film being released as a premium VOD.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...e-outrage.html
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM

I'm not really getting the theaters' problems with this. After 60 days, aren't most movies already out of all but the smaller, budget places ($1 tickets and such)?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I'm not really getting the theaters' problems with this. After 60 days, aren't most movies already out of all but the smaller, budget places ($1 tickets and such)?
They're panicking, just like studios are re: DVD/Blu sales. I think you have to change your business model to keep up with the times. Theaters don't have any right to bitch if they're not going to buckle down and do what needs to be done. Look at any poll about why people don't go to the movies anymore. If theaters would clean up a few things that people dislike, attendance would go up. It's not due to Hollywood's crap product(s) - even though they do make a lot of crap. It's high prices (I don't agree) and not wanting to deal with problems (talking/texting/...generally annoying people) at the theater (I wholeheartedly agree).
Old 03-08-2011, 07:12 PM

Default Wow, Big Shocker!!

It seems that every single content creation industry, be it the movie, music, video games etc has resorted to this very childish behavior. If you do something we don't like we will Ban/Sue/Drop you.

Instead of finding out why people think it would be nicer to watch these movies at home, they would rather try to stand in the way of direct delivery of content to their customers. Instead of working to make sure that 3D presentation is available at EVERY theater and that the movies released in 3D don't SUCK! They would rather block any progress that would take them out of the equation.

However this won't work, How are they going to know which movies are going to be released 60 days later? Won't the theaters just not announce those until the 60 day window is almost over? Movie theaters should be working there asses off if they wan't to be relavent in this coming digital age. Get 2K Digital screens in more theaters, sound proof your damn theaters so that when I go to see No Country for Old Men, I don't have to hear Transformers 2 in the theater next to me like I was in that theater. Clean the damn floors, TRAIN YOUR PROJECTIONISTS!!! BRING BACK USHERS THAT CAN ACTUALLY KICK PEOPLE OUT!!!! STOP WITH THE GOD DAMNED COMMERCIALS!!!!!!!

People used to go to the theater to avoid the problems at home, now home seems like a dream compared to some of the movie theaters. The only theaters I like are the IMAX and higher end theaters that have serve food and Beer so that I can be sure everyone is over 21.

They are going to either get it or they are going to become obsolete. It's their choice.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 AM

What will happen when all the major studios do it, and it's either give in or show nothing but indie films? Don't worry; they'll give in eventually.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Of course this would be the theaters response. They see the writing on the wall. All new theater releases will eventually be available on demand at home. And the theater super store chains will first need to downsize and eventually close shop. Exactly like the video rental stores(Blockbuster,Hollywood) and the music stores(Tower Records). So instead of whinning about the inevitable, the Theater chains should try to find a way to adjust their business. Winning!