Did Blockbuster Agree To A 28-Day Window Too? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Default Did Blockbuster Agree To A 28-Day Window Too?

I just read that, back in Nov & Dec, NCR (who run Blockbuster's kiosks) agreed to delay movies for 1-month ala Streamfix & Redbox. It didn't affect their brick & mortar stores. Is it possible their stores are doing this too now?

I've been waiting for more upcoming releases to jump from my "Not Yet Available" list into my Q. "Unstoppable," which comes out next Tues, still hasn't moved (Nor does it have a release date. When you search next week's releases, it's nowhere to be found). Is it possible that the b & m stores are doing this 28-day wait too now?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

It's possible studios are just not shipping BB any movies due to them not paying them for the movies they currently have. If you didn't know, BBs shares are currently 11 cents and they are seeking a buyout. If they don't get a buyout, they will have to liquidate and the company will cease to exist.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 PM

No, I've got AN Affair to Remember & Thelma and Louise on release day in the last two weeks. Just added Unstoppable to my Q and it shows as available on 2/15. As Gizmo said, they're in serious doo-doo, but so far they still seem to be getting movies on release day, altho probably not from Summit anymore.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM

The 28 day window only applied to their kiosks, which are in direct competition with redbox. Their stores and their website were not affected by this.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckydan View Post
The 28 day window only applied to their kiosks, which are in direct competition with redbox. Their stores and their website were not affected by this.
Yeah, and actually the Blockbuster kiosks are not "theirs", they are owned & operated by NCR which just licenses the name from Blockbuster.

Last edited by Cochise; 02-16-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 AM

It finally bumped to my "In Your Q" section (Friday?). I'd never seen one take that long, so I panicked. If they lose the 28-day window advantage, they lose me. Of course, even though I've had 2 open slots in my Q since last Wed (and 3 since last Friday) they skipped me over for "Unstoppable." It showed available until Tuesday night. Now it's a very long wait. Not sure how it is for people in big cities, but Blockbuster TA sucks balls here in Eastern IA (the closest shipping facility is 250 miles away in Des Moines). They almost never send me new releases. Old stuff they'll churn out to me pretty consistently. But if I want to have anything new, I have to have exchanges to take to the store on Tuesday morning.

Streamflix sucks for a lot of reasons, but that isn't one of them. As long as I have an open spot (or open spots) in my Q Monday morning, they almost always ship me the new releases I want. Of course they're also charging me $25.67 for 3-out with B-r access now. I was going to go with streaming only through them, then I forgot to switch my plan earlier this month. Of course this month they're especially lousy with new releases, so I really screwed the pooch financially.

Back to "Unstoppable"...for some reason my "local" store only got 5 copies on B-r, and they're all checked out now. I couldn't pick it up today because I still don't have an online exchange to trade for it.