Comcast/NBC Merger Means Higher Cable Prices Says Analyst - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Comcast/NBC Merger Means Higher Cable Prices Says Analyst

Cable prices could go up faster than ever thanks to the Comcast/NBC merger according to Alexander Per, an economist working at CBSaver.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/cab...ncreases-21821
Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 PM

I encourage cable companies to do this, it will make my decision to cancel cable that much easier. I've been toying with the idea for a while.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
I encourage cable companies to do this, it will make my decision to cancel cable that much easier. I've been toying with the idea for a while.
Totally. I barely watch cable now as it is. Sure, there are some shows I like to watch on cable, but I if I had to, I could buy them when they come out on blu-ray for much cheaper than I am paying to watch them now. Hmmm...I might just have to do that soon......
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM

I have to generally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
... but I if I had to, I could buy them when they come out on blu-ray for much cheaper than I am paying to watch them now. Hmmm...I might just have to do that soon......
The problem with that is that low-rated shows rarely make it onto Blu-ray, or even onto DVD. You might have to wait a decade or two until Shout! gets around to release them. Examples: In Case Of Emergency, Knights Of Prosperity, Last season of Wild Fire, the Kojak remake, Raines, Three Moons Over Milford...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 AM

Damn food network and HGTV for the wife ..otherwise i would quit ..
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM

My Comcast bill went up $4 last month. Lemme break it down: 2 HD DVRs, Digital/HD Package, entry level hi-speed internet = $163/mo. and change. I've managed to find a comparable setup with satellite tv for a savings, but I'm also missing some old fav channels.

I kept the hi-speed internet since the only other option in my zip is low-speed DSL. Zips around me have U-Verse as an option, though. My only complaint about my setup now is bandwidth limits.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM

if it wasn't for live local sports and my toddler's 'Sprout' network i would have cut the cable a year ago.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 PM

I would only miss USA, Comedy Central, FX, and ESPN. USA streams most of their shows online, I'm only interested in a handful of CC and FX (actually just Archer and South Park), and I have bars and friends for any major ESPN sporting events.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 PM

My wife and I have been talking about getting rid of cable as well. We have the basic cable channels (Time Warner). I watch a lot of news. I do like FX and Spike...but I could live without it. The only thing with us though is we have the bundle (cable, internet, phone) and I am not sure if I drop the cable...would I also be dropping the internet and phone?? I want to keep the internet speed and digital phone that we have now. We just keep paying because of the kids. I spend more time on the computer than the tv. My main tv viewing is watching blu-rays, news, and an occasional Spike, FX, or random movie playing late at night.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
My wife and I have been talking about getting rid of cable as well. We have the basic cable channels (Time Warner). I watch a lot of news. I do like FX and Spike...but I could live without it. The only thing with us though is we have the bundle (cable, internet, phone) and I am not sure if I drop the cable...would I also be dropping the internet and phone?? I want to keep the internet speed and digital phone that we have now. We just keep paying because of the kids. I spend more time on the computer than the tv. My main tv viewing is watching blu-rays, news, and an occasional Spike, FX, or random movie playing late at night.
At least in my area you can drop one but keep the others. I dropped my phone service last year and was downgraded to a duo pack for TV and internet, lost a little bit of a discount on both, but still came out way ahead.