Anyone watch Archer? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Default Anyone watch Archer?

The animated show on FX? Second season stated last night... and was awesome!

If you haven't seen it, check out some clips online or see if FX.com has episodes to watch.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
The animated show on FX? Second season stated last night... and was awesome!

If you haven't seen it, check out some clips online or see if FX.com has episodes to watch.
Yup.

The show didn't skip a beat after that long break. I was in tears a couple of times at the stupidest things, specifically when Pam belched right in Archer's face. The snowmobile scene was fantastic.

Last edited by HuskerGuy; 01-28-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: rewatched, had the wrong person
Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM

The show got some promotion from USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...her27_ST_N.htm

Quote:
Sterling Archer, the spy at the heart of FX's Archer, is a balancing act for creator Adam Reed.

"How big a jerk can we make him and still have him be sympathetic?"

Pretty big, at least according to the uncouth Archer's words and deeds in a critically praised Season 1, which averaged 1.2 million viewers. And it looks as if he will only get bigger in Season 2 of the adult-oriented animated comedy, which kicks off tonight (10 ET/PT) with more profane talk and louche behavior as Archer & Co. travel to Switzerland to protect an overly libidinous, underage teen.

H. Jon Benjamin, the voice of the secret agent, is comfortable with that. "I like playing the role of a brat. And I am one in real life, so I know what it's like. There's a lot of resistance to people who are incorrigible, so it's great to be able to play that, especially in a really over-the-top way.

"I like that it's this over-the-top world, this spy world, where he works for his mom and has serious mother issues."

A few things save Archer from becoming too obnoxious, Reed says. He's good at his job, at least when he wants to be, and Benjamin's voice softens some of the harshness. Archer "will say things that are just appalling, but Jon's delivery has such a disarming quality that I look past the actual surface of the words and can hear a lightheartedness," Reed says.

There's also the fact that Archer's transgressions don't stand out as much considering the crass company he keeps. He's joined by a cast of crude colleagues at the International Secret Intelligence Service (ISIS), which is headed by his mother, the vainglorious, hard-drinking Malory Archer (Jessica Walter).

"I love Malory. She is so evil. She's more evil than Lucille on Arrested Development, and that's saying a lot. Except Lucille would never let her hair go gray," says Walter, who played the haughty mother on that comedy classic and now stars in TV Land's Retired at 35.

"I like that she really does love her son, even though she doesn't know how to show it. I like that she's aggressive and running a company and out to be the best she can be in her own way. I like all the positives. Of course, how she does all that, I don't think in real life that's what spies do."

Other characters include: Archer's ex, secret agent bombshell Lana Kane (Aisha Tyler); her ex, ISIS comptroller and sex addict Cyril Figgis (Chris Parnell); Malory's awkward secretary, Cheryl, aka Carol (Judy Greer); the inappropriate H.R. director, Pam (Amber Nash); and Archer's abused valet, Woodhouse (George Coe).

"I don't think (they) realize how dysfunctional and dirty they are," Reed says. "They would be shut down by the federal government instantly."
Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM

i'm still finishing the first season but i dvr'd it
Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM
HDD Contributor

That first episode back was great! Can't wait to see what the rest of the season has to offer.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Great show! Loving it.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Formerly weaponX6282

Danger Zone!

Love this show.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:48 PM

and this is why we can't have nice things
Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 PM

You're not my supervisor!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Just the tip?