Netflix Streaming Up, Premium Channel Subscribers Down - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Netflix Streaming Up, Premium Channel Subscribers Down

Time Warner lost 141,000 video subscribers in the fourth quarter of 2010. Netflix gained 3 million.

Premium Down - http://www.homemediamagazine.com/cab...-quarter-21818

Netflix Up - http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...scribers-21805
Old 01-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Cable companies may be somewhat right in that loosing customers has more to with the economy and (lack of) jobs market than true cord cutting. However I think this is also a watershed moment. Cable thinks these customers will all or mostly all come back once things are better, I am betting otherwise.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 PM

It's good to see customers screwing those who've been screwing them (cable co's). Overpriced packages that include way too many channels we don't watch...too much reality crap on tv...no a la carte channel ordering. It's good and bad. I love that people are kicking them to the curb and saving money. I hate that Streamflix is going to use this to become more streaming only more quickly.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 AM

I hope this means Netflix will be adding more content, like NEW releases available for streaming. I would like to see them expand their catalogue titles as well.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM

...and they can kiss me goodbye after the Super Bowl this weekend.

Other than football games, I bet I've not watched 2 hours of network television in the last 4 months. I've seen enough drug commercials to last me a lifetime.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM

Good ridance. Every year, cable rates get higher and higher with very little expansion to justify it. After the Super Bowl I'm dumping my HD cable and going exclusively to streaming.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM

I saw that you left this tidbit out.

Quote:
TWC ended the quarter with 12.2 million video subscribers, compared with nearly 12.4 million during the previous-year period. Overall subs increased 25,000 to 26.7 million due to increases in high-speed Internet and digital phone services.
Cable rates go for the same reasons satelitte and ATT rate increase on video services.... programming licensing fees. Viacom and Disney charge crazy fees for the channels they own and now Comcast has control of several of the big networks and distributing rights. Comcast will be able to control the rights for premium channels on demand service.

Netflix will get new releases few weeks almost a month after the DVD release. Those rights cable and satelite won't give up.

Also, cable companies paid lots of money to update their system to fiber optic. They are gonna get their return on the investment.

I assumed you heard of this. Comcast and TWC expand TV everywhere and on demand streaming