Showtimes "Shameless" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 PM

Default Showtimes "Shameless"

The show premiered last night on Showtime. hour long episodes. Pretty damn funny so far. Plus, I could live with seeing Emmy Rossums boobs every week.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Agreed, great episode and is on our must watch list now.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 PM

i liked the preview half episode, recorded it last night so i'll have to check it out
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Yeah, out of all the new shows I've seen, this is my favorite.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM

I didn't like this at all. Not even slightly.

Well, Emmy Rossum's boob was nice.

Otherwise, the show felt very contrived and false to me. And William Macy's drunk act was really over-the-top. I'm not a fan.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM

It walks a fine line. I think you'll either love it or hate it.

The subject of the show (essentially a loser family) can piss people off for sure.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
It walks a fine line. I think you'll either love it or hate it.

The subject of the show (essentially a loser family) can piss people off for sure.
I agree on it being divisive, although I would say they are a "loser" family. I'd go with dysfunctional.

Also, it had a strong debut apparently.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6612267.story

Quote:
'It may have divided the critics, but in the ratings "Shameless" scored another win for Showtime's programming strategy of banking on antihero star vehicles.

The drama, an Americanized version of a British series, stars William H. Macy as an abusive, substance-abusing father. It delivered 982,000 total viewers, according to the Nielsen Co. the pay-cable network's biggest drama premiere in seven years, since "Dead Like Me" scored 1.1 million.

The show divided reviewers, with Los Angeles Times critic Mary McNamara finding it gritty and preachy, "never a good combination."
Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 AM

I don't have a problem with the characters being losers. The problem is that the characters are far too "quirky" just for the sake of being quirky, and their problems are all very contrived. Look at the scene where they get up in the morning and have an adorably-staged routine for who goes where, who does what, who gets how much money, and how they get through the day. It felt like something out of a 1930s screwball comedy and completely belied the "gritty realism" that the show pretends to wallow in.

Also, most of the actors (especially Emmy Rossum) are far too pretty. And yes, the show is very, very preachy.

Bleh. I thought it was terrible.

Do Showtime's high ratings for this take into consideration that they debuted it over a free preview weekend? That's the only reason I watched it. I'm sure the ratings will sink like a stone with the second episode, when non-subscribers can't watch again.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 PM

They only counted subscribers with Neilson boxes.

I've only seen one episode, but I didn't see anything that could be considered preachy.

Also, why is that so quirky? Everyone has routines in the morning.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Excellent boobage to start the show last night, but it's (the show, not boobage ) starting to lose its luster for me already.