AT&T U-Verse - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM

Default AT&T U-Verse

Anybody have this? I'm seriously considering switching from DirecTV to U-Verse. The premium channels I currently have are HBO and the Sports Pak and I pay right at $105.00 a month. I have internet seperately through Insight Communications and that's $45.00 a month. I would love to bundle my TV viewing and my internet while saving a few bucks. HD channels are extremely important as I watch pretty much all of them at some point. If anyone on here has any experience with U-Verse, please share.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Anybody have this? I'm seriously considering switching from DirecTV to U-Verse. The premium channels I currently have are HBO and the Sports Pak and I pay right at $105.00 a month. I have internet seperately through Insight Communications and that's $45.00 a month. I would love to bundle my TV viewing and my internet while saving a few bucks. HD channels are extremely important as I watch pretty much all of them at some point. If anyone on here has any experience with U-Verse, please share.
My experience is limited to 2-3 years ago when I was in Kansas City and had it. I switched to them for two reasons, the first being my pure hatred of Comcast and the second they were much cheaper.

I think they've changed a lot of things since I've had it so I can't really recommend for or against it since I don't know how the service is now, but based on my previous experience I couldn't recommend it unless you were just looking for a lower price or better customer service. The HD quality was rather poor when I had it. They did have some cool things in the works though like whole house dvr (record on one box and watch on any), I always thought that was a great idea.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
The HD quality was rather poor when I had it.
That doesn't sound to promising. Curious though, why'd you get rid of it? Preciate your 2 cents.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
That doesn't sound to promising. Curious though, why'd you get rid of it? Preciate your 2 cents.
Only reason we got rid of it was because we moved and Omaha doesn't have uverse service.

The HD was subject to some rather obvious macroblocking and football looked especially poor. I understand it is highly dependant on your location though and they may have improved things since we had it, who knows.

I'd poke around this site to see what folks in your city have to say about it.

http://www.uverseusers.com/
Old 12-31-2010, 11:43 AM

Out of all the providers, they have to compress the most due to being limited by the constraints of copper. Therefore, their video feeds suffer.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 AM

I too hate comcast, so I gladly switched to uverse when I was able. I do agree that the HD is below par from others Ive seen (comcast, direct tv, dish network), but I will stick uverse. good pricing, good internet (w/ free built in wifi), and love the single DVR for the house.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM

I can only speak for the internet portion of it, but I've had that for about a year with only one easily-fixed billing error. Speed is good, no random disconnects, and no big-brother weirdness like Cox has.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:04 AM

No big brother weirdness? hahah.

Come on, now, this is the same telco that got ousted for having an undisclosed data-mining center and this was during the Bushy admin. It's probably 10 times as worse now.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Well, I'll say less annoying then. Cox will shut off your connection if any torrents or whatever get traced to your IP. I'd expect every ISP to be data mining, and have records of all activity, but I'm a cynic and/or paranoid.