First-Run Movies at Home for $500 Each - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
HDD Contributor

Default First-Run Movies at Home for $500 Each

Oh, and there's a $20,000 setup fee to go with it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ist_smartbrief
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM

Ridiculous.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 PM

That might be pretty cool if I was an individual where money wasn't an option and I didn't like the inconvenience of going to see a movie. $500 to watch a movie seems way out of touch though. I thought I heard somewhere that this service was going to be offered for like 50 bucks a movie. At 50 bucks that might actually be worth it since it cost every bit of that to take your family to see a movie including popcorn, drinks and candy. Plus it's worth it to some people to avoid the crowds. Personally, I like the entire experience of an actual movie theatre atmosphere. I like the crowd's reactions, the smell, the entire experience.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Grady View Post
Ridiculous.
I don't go to the movies because there's always too many distractions, people are obnoxious and rude. I probably could do a top 10 list of annoyances and many people would say "holy shit, you're right" and they'd probably go to the movies less or not at all. The people factor would take 7 or 8 of the top 10, the rest would be the facility or the industry.
If money weren't an object this sounds like an excellent solution. I wonder how much Jon Bon Jovi paid for his setup as he had done it YEARS ago!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:45 PM

Eh, it's a start. Remember when entry-level BD players were 500+ a pop?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
John Fithian of the National Association of Theater Owners isn't as happy with the idea. "This proposal will give pirates a pristine digital copy early, resulting in millions of lost revenue to piracy, while at the same time selling a very limited number of units," he says.
Yes, because we know that pirates are willing to spend $20k for a setup and $500 a pop to give away stuff.

However, if some pirate group asked all its members to pitch in a few hundred for the setup cost, and a few bucks for each movie, yeah, I guess there is the possibility that these will be used for piracy.

Truthfully, though, that is as insane of a statement as saying that digital cinemas will lead to piracy, because they are shipping digital copies on Hard Drives or distributing via satelite.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 PM

I'm sure those who could afford such a thing could also afford their own movie theater.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 PM

I would just build my own movie theater at that point... Be damned if I would spend $20 + another $500 per flick to watch it on a 50" Plasma... BS
Old 02-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I don't go to the movies because there's always too many distractions, people are obnoxious and rude. I probably could do a top 10 list of annoyances and many people would say "holy shit, you're right" and they'd probably go to the movies less or not at all. The people factor would take 7 or 8 of the top 10, the rest would be the facility or the industry.
If money weren't an object this sounds like an excellent solution. I wonder how much Jon Bon Jovi paid for his setup as he had done it YEARS ago!
Yep.... But, let's all keep in mind that these distractions.... Well, come from the home viewing experience.... People, bring their living room habits to the movies these days....