Comicmovieguy is offline Member

Default Fios HDTV DVR to DVD transfer?

How can I burn the HDTV shows I have on my Motorola HDTV DVR to a DVD ?
    Comicmovieguy
    Samsung LNT4661
    Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
    Fios TV
    Sony 3D BD-350
    Klipsch Speaker System
    189 BD TITLES

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Comicmovieguy View Post
    The quality will be 480i since DVD is only 480i quality. All rented HD cable box's and HD DVR's are required by law to have one working IEEE-1394 digital interface. If your DVD recorder has a IEEE-1394 interface then you can make a perfect bit for bit 480i recording from the Motorola cable box to a standalone DVD recorder or DVD recorder built into a computer. The catch is the show needs to be in native SD 480i quality when using the IEEE-1394 interface with a DVD burner. If you do not have a IEEE-1394 interface on your DVD recorder then you can make a lower quality analog 480i copy using the S-Video output on the cable box. Just connect the S-Video output and left and right stereo output on the cable box to the S-Video input and left and right stereo input on the DVD recorder. The Motorola cable box will down convert 1080i and 720P programs to 480i when using S-Video. The i-link always sends native digital video and audio with no program guide info appearing on screen.

To record in perfect 1080i quality from the HD DVR would require a discontinued D-VHS machine being connected to the Digital Cable box using a IEEE-1394 connection. Currently there is no BLU-RAY standalone recorders in the United States to make 1080I recordings from the HD DVR. If you had a BLU-RAY recorder in your computer you could make a perfect 1080I copy from the HD DVR as long as you had a IEEE-1394 interface and working driver with compatible software.

Also some programs on the HD DVR might not allow you to make a perfect copy using the IEEE-1394 interface under the 5C copy protection system. Most TV programs are marked as copy always and that would not be a issue.
    Last edited by HDTV1080P; 02-22-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicmovieguy View Post
    The only way I know of to record an HDTV show in HD from a set top box onto a DVD-R is to use an Hauppauge HD PVR (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html).

You will need the HD PVR and a PC with a DVD burner near your set top box. Then you can record the component video and digital audio for 1080i with 5.1 sound to the PC. The resulting AVCHD file on the PC can then be burned onto normal DVD-R media and played back in HD on many (but not all) blu-ray players.

This is not an easy push button solution. It will require time, effort, and probably a few coasters before everything works right. You will also need to ensure your BD player is capable of AVCHD playback.

It would be nice if someone made a stand-alone DVD recorder that recorded AVCHD from component and optical inputs. There are AVCHD DVD recorders, but they all seem designed with proprietary connectors to only record from camcorders.

Comicmovieguy is offline Member

Thanks HDTV-1080P and Mango for that great info! I will try those methods and hopefully be able to free up some space on my HD-DVR by getting rid of some saved programs that I have on there.
    Comicmovieguy
    Samsung LNT4661
    Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
    Fios TV
    Sony 3D BD-350
    Klipsch Speaker System
    189 BD TITLES