High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   HDTV Programming and Info (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hdtv-programming-info-24/)
-   -   Olympics Picture Quality (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hdtv-programming-info/63289-olympics-picture-quality.html)

betona 08-10-2008 11:02 AM

Olympics Picture Quality
 
Am I the only one who's been disappointed with the PQ of the Olympics broadcasts?

I watched the fan favorite women's beach volleyball yesterday (ohh yeah) and the picture just really wasn't all that great. It seems the same in the other sports. When they go back to display a full-screen studio graphic, it's suddenly crisp, but the actual sports coverage makes me wonder if they sent the crappy cameras to Beijing or if they're severely compressing it to send it around the world?

smurfer 08-10-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betona (Post 1122559)
Am I the only one who's been disappointed with the PQ of the Olympics broadcasts?

I watched the fan favorite women's beach volleyball yesterday (ohh yeah) and the picture just really wasn't all that great. It seems the same in the other sports. When they go back to display a full-screen studio graphic, it's suddenly crisp, but the actual sports coverage makes me wonder if they sent the crappy cameras to Beijing or if they're severely compressing it to send it around the world?

NBC Tape delay sucks doesn't it...

Super-VHS 08-10-2008 01:01 PM

I know that a fair few of the cameras that cover the events (soccer in particular) are actually 50i - it's getting converted to 60i for US broadcast and that can (sometimes) have disastrous effects.

Also, the compression could be caused more by your NBC affilate - 9/10 times there is some sort of subchannel (or maybe a few subs) that are hogging precious bandwidth.

As for my experience with the PQ, some of it is horrible (NBCsoccerHD is near unwatchable at times) while other events are pristine (near no blocking) especially on certain live events on UniHD. On the whole I'm not satisfied with HD Olympics - never have been. The blocking is very distracting and I can't get over the rings logo.... every time it swings into view the whole graphic is smothered in blocks, aliasing and various other crap.

Arkadin 08-10-2008 01:02 PM

some of the live hd stuff I have watched has looked great, but some not as good. it seems to vary a good bit.
I just watched the basketball game, and had a lot of problems with motion artifacts. Also, it seemed a little soft overall for sure.

kurbkidc 08-20-2008 05:24 PM

I agree that there is some issues present that keep it from being a 10 out of 10 presentation, but think about what it takes to get MANY simutaneous HD feeds from China to the US. Also, go check out the SD broadcast, then you might just be happy to have the HD version at all.

Women's Beach Volleyball =p~ :cool:

allargon 08-21-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super-VHS (Post 1122637)
I know that a fair few of the cameras that cover the events (soccer in particular) are actually 50i - it's getting converted to 60i for US broadcast and that can (sometimes) have disastrous effects.

Also, the compression could be caused more by your NBC affilate - 9/10 times there is some sort of subchannel (or maybe a few subs) that are hogging precious bandwidth.

As for my experience with the PQ, some of it is horrible (NBCsoccerHD is near unwatchable at times) while other events are pristine (near no blocking) especially on certain live events on UniHD. On the whole I'm not satisfied with HD Olympics - never have been. The blocking is very distracting and I can't get over the rings logo.... every time it swings into view the whole graphic is smothered in blocks, aliasing and various other crap.

No, NBC's macroblocking everywhere. UniversalHD is not pristine. It looks beyond soft on DishNetwork to me. NBC looks better in primetime than they do on the non primetime events. Let's not forget that NBC messes up Sunday night football, too.

HamsterDance 08-23-2008 11:30 PM

I have had no problems with the HD coverage on my cable. (Charter)

I know that at least one of the women's volleyball games were played in the rain. Maybe you watched that one and that is why the quality was lacking?

crazzeto 08-24-2008 02:05 AM

for me it's fluctuated quite a bit... It basically sucked for swimming events (they all looked like white blurs), but then again for track and feild it was excellent, diving seems to be great for the most part except for being able to judge splash. Gymnastics has been very watchable with few dissapointments... The few beach vollyball matches I've seen weren't the best but also weren't the worst.

I wonder if satallite bandwidth might be an issue... Though I noticed durring hocky season that NBC likes to over compress or something (perhaps DNR?) People generally looked waxy/pasty.

crazzeto 08-24-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allargon (Post 1142680)
No, NBC's macroblocking everywhere. UniversalHD is not pristine. It looks beyond soft on DishNetwork to me. NBC looks better in primetime than they do on the non primetime events. Let's not forget that NBC messes up Sunday night football, too.

CBS is the friggen bomb for football, makes me wish they'd pick up hockey and the olympics.

Arkadin 08-24-2008 10:19 PM

I think the responses here show that more times than not it's the your cable/satellite company causing the problems NOT NBC.
my soccerhd channel looked pristine EVERY time I watched it.
so imo that proves right there that it's the local end that is causing the problems.
Overall I was extremely satisfied with how my hd coverage looked.
I'm on Charter also.
maybe Charter is doing something right.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 AM.