The Great TV Broadcast Screw Up Is Coming - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 AM

I don't want to get into a nasty debate here, but I will stand by my position that unless things change before the time comes, this could be very ugly for people below the poverty line.

By definition from the Census Web Pages, "living below the poverty line" means that the person or family does not heve enough money to meet the expenses of all their basic needs. It's hard for me to see poor people, who are pushing their limits to pay rent, food, electrical, ... saying, "Screw all that, I want my MTV! Sign me up for cable!!!" (Please don't get mad, I'm only making a joke here.)

Sadly, there is no scientific study (that I'm aware of) that has tried to estimate what the impact will be on poor people. However, TV Technology, a publication to the Broadcast Industry, over the years has pointed out that this could be a potential problem.

It is possible that things could change, but right now, things are not looking very good. Maybe someone will want to look back at the thread one year and two years from now to see if the issue was solved or ignored.

Bob
Old 01-22-2007, 01:46 PM

While the switch will inconvience many, it could do more good for broadcast TV (I hope) than bad. The impoverished will have to buy a new tuner or converter. Even if it costs them a $100, that's a one time cost that is very small compared to $800 or more per year.

The good (for broadcast TV) could come from the publicity from the switch (most don't know about it now, but many will learn between now and then.) How many people are paying for cable because in 1987 (just an example) they couldn't "get a signal." With the publicity generated, maybe they will once again learn that they have a choice and don't need to pay a service fee to watch television (as it was originally intended.)

As for who will be affected:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsden5 View Post
Think about it a bit, everyone in the country below the poverty level doesn't use rabbit ears. Also there are some who can afford whatever they want but DO use rabbit ears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsden5 View Post
You are still assuming that all of these people do not have cable. An assumption I would not be comfortable with. It is "highly unlikely" people in the same income level wear $100.00 shoes or have nice jewelry, video games, cell phones, iPods, etc. but many do.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, just pointing out there are a lot of unknowns...
I'll try not to get in to a socialogical discussion, but I could see how there are some (not many but at least some) living below the poverty line but still paying for cable. I have some friends who work in schools, hospitals, etc. where they see some families who don't spend much money on food (many of the kids get fed by the state) or rent (many live in a sub-standard environment or gov't subsidized housing) or insurance, etc, but still manage to pay for (or often charge) luxury items like TVs, games, etc.

That said their are also people like myself who still make use of broadcast TV. While I might not have spent as much on an expensive HDTV if I where paying $800 a year for cable, I am not below the poverty line. Since I dropped cable (and started paying attention) I have met several people who are not impoverished but do not use cable, sat, etc. Some do it to save money, some do it because they just don't need the extra stations, and some (believe it or not) just don't watch much TV. In fact there are others on this site (populated by high def enthusiests) who also use broadcast TV.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:10 AM

If we assume that of the 13 million HOMES, living below the poverty line, 85% have cable or satellite (exactly like the rest of the country), that comes to around 2 million or more homes that just use an antenna. That's still a lot of homes and I find it unlikely that those living below the poverty line have that high a penetration of cable...

Notice that I'm always saying HOMES and not people in all my posts.

It will take several days before I can do this, but I want to post photos of my son's HDTV is pulling in a clean digital signal using just rabit ears. The analog image looks like heck. I'll post the photos in another thread.

The first 3 generations of digital tuners sucked rocks. The 4th generation wasn't too bad, but wasn't great eather. The 5th generation tuners ROCK!!! BUT that's for another thread...

Bob
Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 AM

Dont worry about the poor people...they'll find ways to upgrade their TV before then. They'll be pretty busy :

1. Having as many kids as possible for the almighty Child Tax Credit.
2. Loaning out excess kids to other poor friends...so said friends can claim their kids and split the profit.
3. Suing people over ridiculous things.
4. Enrolling in government programs to feed their kids.
5. Picking up their welfare check, buying drugs, flip the drugs for profit
6. Complaining
7. Annoying me
8. Having to make difficult decisions such as ... baby formula...or lotto ticket?
9. Stealing YOUR HDTV
10. Being lazy..

EDIT : Oh yea...I should have noted that this isnt indicative of all poor people. Just the poor people who are poor and dont want to do anything about it.

Last edited by MarkForce; 01-23-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkForce View Post
Dont worry about the poor people...they'll find ways to upgrade their TV before then. They'll be pretty busy :

1. Having as many kids as possible for the almighty Child Tax Credit.
2. Loaning out excess kids to other poor friends...so said friends can claim their kids and split the profit.
3. Suing people over ridiculous things.
4. Enrolling in government programs to feed their kids.
5. Picking up their welfare check, buying drugs, flip the drugs for profit
6. Complaining
7. Annoying me
8. Having to make difficult decisions such as ... baby formula...or lotto ticket?
9. Stealing YOUR HDTV
10. Being lazy..

EDIT : Oh yea...I should have noted that this isnt indicative of all poor people. Just the poor people who are poor and dont want to do anything about it.
Oh, boy.

I think I will be scorched just reading the replies to this post.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:08 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/24/h...or-analog-tvs/

Just thought I'd post this as an update. A proposal has come up in the US house that would require TV manufacturers to put a warning label on all analog TV's that they are incapable of receiving broadcasts after the Feb 17, 2009 deadline without a converter box. The proposed bill has also been endorsed by NAB.

Quote:
If a group of House Republicans have their way, television manufacturers still trying to convince consumers of the questionable benefits of analog TV may soon have a harder time making their case, as they'll be required to slap a big 'ol label on that old-school tube warning potential buyers of its considerable shortcomings. According to TV Week, the bill proposed by Republican members of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce would mandate that all analog-only TVs carry the message that "this TV has only an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after Feb. 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air broadcasts." Not exactly "this TV can kill you," but hardly a selling point either. The bill would also require cable and satellite service providers to deliver regular reports detailing their consumer educations efforts, as well as require that the FCC create its own consumer outreach effort and provide details on the number of customers that have redeemed coupons for cable boxes. While the prospects of the bill passing aren't clear, it has picked up at least one big supporter, with the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) quickly hopping on board to endorse it.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/24/h...or-analog-tvs/

Just thought I'd post this as an update. A proposal has come up in the US house that would require TV manufacturers to put a warning label on all analog TV's that they are incapable of receiving broadcasts after the Feb 17, 2009 deadline without a converter box. The proposed bill has also been endorsed by NAB.
What's the point of that? I thought that just over 1 month from now (march 1, 2007,) all TVs regardless of size, as well as VCRs, DVRs, etc, have to be made with an ATSC DTV tuner in it anyway. There will be no analog only TVs made to have those stickers put on them.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6285719.html

Last edited by Ramenator; 01-25-2007 at 04:40 PM.