Dark Knight review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Dark Knight review

Movie Title:- The Dark Knight -
http://www.hdmoviesource.com/catalog...oducts_id=2265

Technical Specs:- Plays in REGION A.B.C Players.///Technical Specs Blu-ray BD-50 Dual-Layer Disc/BD-25 Single-Layer Disc Two-Disc Set BD-Live (Profile 2.0) Video Resolution/Codec 1080p/VC-1 Aspect Ratio(s) 2.40:1 1.78:1 Audio Formats English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround (48kHz/16-bit) English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (640kbps) English Descriptive Video Service 2.0 Stereo (192kbps) French (Quebec) Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (448kbps) Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (448kbps) Subtitles/Captions English SDH French (Quebec) Subtitles Spanish Subtitles Supplements Featurettes Still Galleries Theatrical Trailers Digital Copy Exclusive HD Content BD-Live | 2008 | 152 mins | Rated PG-13.

Movie:- 4.5 Out Of 5 - With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), the Batman (Christian Bale) has been making headway against local crime... until a rising criminal mastermind known as The Joker (Heath Ledger) unleashes a fresh reign of chaos across Gotham City. To stop this devious new menace Batman's most personal and vicious enemy yet he will have to use every high-tech weapon in his arsenal and confront everything he believes. Cast: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman Director: Christopher Nolan

Video:- 4.5 Out 5 - The picture quality with the IMAX camera scene's are amazingly detailed, and it looked as though the contrast was much more vivid. I really wish the entire movie was filmed liked this, because the normal scene's look a little softer by comparison, which leads me to believe that this is why is is slight edge enhancement. The picture looks a little gritty; like somebody has increased the sharpness on my projector by a few clicks. I honestly think the compression guys did this to make the IMAX and normal camera shots look authentically equal, and on alot of TV's you may not see the difference between the two. I personally don't think that there's any excuse for edge enhancement ever, but that being said the disc still looks very good, and I accept the fact that Warner Bros have to some how try to ruin the way there movie's look on DVD & Blu-Ray. A partial rant here, but Warner Bros produce the worst looking Blu-Ray Disc's out there, I don't know if WB care about how there disc's look or that they are still focused on DVD quality, but WB disc's just aren't good enough plain and simple.
There is evidence of artifacting in some poorly lit scene's, but this is a new movie, no new movie in my opinion should have artifacts and a movie as big a Dark Knight, this is actually very poor. Again, the picture overall isn't poor, its actually quite good, but this is just a missed opportunity in my opinion from WB, and I as a video enthusiast expect nothing but the best. One point taken away from REFERENCE for edge enhancement, and half a point for artifacting, and I think 4.5 is fair for this movie. Good, but not good enough.

Audio:- 5 Out Of 5 - Audio is quite simply amazing, the music, the clarity of the dialogue, the bass and the surround sound effects are perfectly transfered to Blu-Ray. I'll have to watch it again to see if it warrants a REFERENCE QUALITY, but after watching it once; its just amazing. I can now see what WB focus on for Blu-Ray, its audio and it's great.

Summary:- 5 Out Of 5 - I prefered watching this movie at home over the theater, and I really enjoyed it on Blu-Ray. Apart from me being very picky about the video I still think that this is an excellent Blu-ray and highly recommended for all action fans. Heath Ledger is sensational, and nobody could have played the Joker the way he plays the Joker, amazing.

Reviewed by Carl Mulder.