Hancock review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM

Default Hancock review

Movie Title:- Hancock -
http://www.hdmoviesource.com/catalog...oducts_id=2014
Technical Specs:- Plays in REGION A.B.C Players.///Technical Specs Blu-ray BD-50 Dual-Layer Disc Two-Disc Set Bonus View (Profile 1.1) BD-Live (Profile 2.0) D-Box Enhanced Video Resolution/Codec 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 Aspect Ratio(s) 2.40:1 Audio Formats English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-bit) French Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-bit) Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (640kbps) Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (640kbps) Thai Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (640kbps) Subtitles/Captions English SDH French Subtitles Spanish Subtitles Portuguese Subtitles Indonesian Subtitles Thai Subtitles Chinese (Traditional) Subtitles Chinese (Simplified) Subtitles Korean Subtitles Supplements Featurettes Digital Copy Exclusive HD Content Picture-in-Picture BD-Live / 2008 / Rated PG-13

Movie:- 3 Out Of 5 - Starring: Will Smith, Charlize Theron, Jason Bateman Director: Peter Berg Disc - John Hancock (Will Smith) is a drunkard with superhuman powers, including supersonic flight, invulnerability, immortality, and super-strength. Though he uses his powers to stop criminals in his current residence of Los Angeles, his activities inadvertently cause millions of dollars in property damage due to his constant intoxication. As a result, he is routinely jeered at the crime scenes. Hancock also ignores court subpoenas from the city of Los Angeles to address the property damage he has caused.

When public relations spokesperson Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman) departs from an unsuccessful meeting pitching his All-Heart logo for corporations who are extraordinarily charitable—or wish to be perceived as such—he becomes trapped on railroad tracks with an incoming freight train. Hancock saves Ray's life, but he causes the train to derail and nearly injures another driver. Hancock is jeered by other drivers for causing more damage, but Ray steps in and thanks Hancock for saving his life. Ray offers to improve Hancock's public image, and Hancock grudgingly accepts. The spokesperson convinces the alcoholic superhero to permit himself to be jailed for outstanding subpoenas so they can show Los Angeles how much the city really needs Hancock. When the crime rate rises after Hancock's incarceration, the superhero is contacted by the Chief of Police. With a new costume from Ray, Hancock intervenes with a bank robbery, rescuing a cop and stopping the leader of the robbers, Red Parker (Eddie Marsan).

Movie info taken from - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock_(film)

Video:- 5 Out Of 5 - The picture incredible, I thought the black level detail was excellent and the contrast was very high. The color in some scene's like the Liquor store is very powerful; along with the contrast and I had to almost squint my eyes because the scene was so dynamic. Resolution was also excellent, basically everything about this disc is great concerning video. I will be watching this movie again because I'm still not sure wether to give this 5 Out Of 5 Reference or not, in any case the picture is superb.

Audio:- 4.5 Out Of 5 - The audio is also very good, but I just felt it didn't have enough scene's that showed off the audio. The scene's without action sounded great and the dialogue was very smooth, a good sounding disc.

Summary:- 3.5 Out Of 5 - I would have liked a bit more information as to where Hancock came from, and how he has these abilities. After watching the movie you will see that it sets it up perfectly for Hancock 2, with Hancock back on the straight and narrow he's there to save the world. I honestly thought the story was a little lacking, and I wasn't really impressed. Great picture, great sound, but the movie isn't quite up to snuff.

Reviewed by Carl Mulder