HDMS mummy review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2008, 01:11 PM

Default HDMS mummy review

HDMS Review - The Mummy (Universal First)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Title:- The Mummy -
http://www.hdmoviesource.com/catalog...oducts_id=1661

Movie:- 4 Out Of 5 - Starring: Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, Arnold Vosloo Director: Stephen Sommers - Deep in the Egyptian desert, a handful of people searching for a long lost treasure have just unearthed a 3'000 year old legacy of terror. Combing the thrills of a rousing adventure with the suspense of the legendary 1932 horror classic, The Mummy is a true nonstop action epic.

Movie info taken from the Blu-Ray Case.

Video:- 4 Out Of 5 - I was quite excited to see this transfer being Universals 1st for Blu-Ray, it will give me an idea of what they do from title to title and see if there on the right track. I firstly like to point out that there's a lot of edge enhancement, and its consistent throughout the movie. Edge enhancement is basically a compression guys way of turning up the sharpness in an attempt to raise the picture detail. In my opinion, there's never an excuse for edge enhancement to appear on any Blu-Ray transfer. We have a great new format that can display 1080p 24/60 and we're here all over again with the DVD days, you have that type of resolution and you have to use edge?
No, there is never an excuse for edge; I don't care what anyone says, and when can compression crews take an ISF (Image and science foundation) class? Because they obviously don't know anything about true picture quality.

Well thats my rant about edge, now onto the rest of the picture which is actually pretty good. The contrast gets very high, and there's some good low level black detail. I'll be honest my only real problem with the disc is the edge enhancement which I don't really see alot of on Blu-Ray. The scene where the drunken English guy fly's them and crashes is definately the highlight of the disc with incredible contrast. Film grain looks like film grain, and for most part it doesn't break up into artifacts. Apart from the edge, a good looking disc considering the movie's age.

Audio:- 4.5 Out Of 5 - The sound is also good with full use of the surrounds and sub, the flying scene over the desert is yet another great example of audio. Lots going on, but remains clear... My only issue with the sound is its harshness, I'm getting used to the quality of newer movie's and older movie's definately do not have the softness that new recordings have. By softness I just mean not being harsh, and hard on my ears, good new soundtracks can almost be played at any volume and still sound smooth. These olders soundtracks tend to kill your ears when turned up loud.
Featuring DTS HS Master Audio I was impressed by the audio, and for its age sounded very good.

Summary:- Well, The Mummy is suprisingly funny and kept going throughout the movie, and the picture and audio from Univeral seems quite solid from there first release here. Minus some edge enhancement issues, a solid release. If you love the Mummy; you'll love this.

Reviewed By Carl Mulder - HDMS TWISTED BULLET.