Blu-ray Titles Mastered In 4K | Optimized For 4K Ultra HDTV - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Blu-ray Titles Mastered In 4K | Optimized For 4K Ultra HDTV

It looks as though 4K masters are coming, just recently a bunch of Blu-ray movies have been scheduled for release that have the stamp Mastered In 4K | Optimized For 4K Ultra HDTV on them. Movies are set for release on May 14th 2013.

We have created a new category on HD MOVIE SOURCE to make Mastered In 4K titles easier to find - http://www.hdmoviesource.com/Mastere...HDTV-s/421.htm

List Of Blu-ray Titles Mastered In 4K | May 14

Ghostbusters: Mastered In 4K
Taxi Driver: Mastered In 4K
Glory: Mastered In 4K
The Karate Kid (2010): Mastered In 4K
Spider-Man: Mastered In 4K
Battle:Los Angeles: Mastered In 4K
Total Recall (2012): Mastered In 4K
The Other Guys: Mastered In 4K
Angels And Demons: Mastered In 4k
The Amazing Spider-Man: Mastered In 4K

These titles should hopefully offer some of the highest quality visuals we've seen on the Blu-ray format.

Last edited by Glenmulder; 04-14-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM

There isn't a technology in existance that could make The Karate Kid (2010) enjoyable.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 AM

lol, yea, The Karate Kid is probably the only one I wouldn't want to see. I'm looking forward to seeing Total Recall and The Amazing Spider-Man because they're new. Though being new doesn't really mean a thing when they can get Lawrence Of Arabia looking amazing on Blu-ray.

I expect every disc to look better than The Hobbit, and hopefully look something like Samsara which also uses a 4k master.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMS TWISTED BULLET View Post
lol, yea, The Karate Kid is probably the only one I wouldn't want to see. I'm looking forward to seeing Total Recall and The Amazing Spider-Man because they're new. Though being new doesn't really mean a thing when they can get Lawrence Of Arabia looking amazing on Blu-ray.

I expect every disc to look better than The Hobbit, and hopefully look something like Samsara which also uses a 4k master.
I agree, if they want to market 4K to us, then they are gonna have to do something special with negatives of these movies and give use the highest quality masters.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM

They tried the same on dvd with superbit, and to be honest movies like training day were better, and that wasn't even a superbit, it was just a good transfer. The real question is, is a regular joe down the street going to be able to tell the difference? I wanna see a side by side of movies like total recall and seriously know what the differences are. Im hoping that this is a step forward for blu-ray and the quality of home video transfers. As you can probably tell; all I care about is quality transfers, specifically picture quality. I shouldn't have to buy Samsara just because its the best quality video on blu-ray, everything in my opinion should be that good. If this is not marketing fluff, and real improvements, then bring it on.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
They tried the same on dvd with superbit, and to be honest movies like training day were better, and that wasn't even a superbit, it was just a good transfer. The real question is, is a regular joe down the street going to be able to tell the difference? I wanna see a side by side of movies like total recall and seriously know what the differences are. Im hoping that this is a step forward for blu-ray and the quality of home video transfers. As you can probably tell; all I care about is quality transfers, specifically picture quality. I shouldn't have to buy Samsara just because its the best quality video on blu-ray, everything in my opinion should be that good. If this is not marketing fluff, and real improvements, then bring it on.
Only time will tell, I think we are at a stage in video where blu-ray transfers could be absolutely perfect and artifact free. Samsara is a perfect example of how good blu-ray can look, 100% flawless video, if 4k masters are this good then I also cannot wait.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
One of the major flaws in the industry I have noticed is that many electronics retailers just don't bother setting up Blu-Ray displays properly in store. The TVs don't look calibrated at all, either the color or the contrast is ramped up and some of them were using a video feed through component cables and not an HDMI cable. These stores should each have a testing room available where customers can compare players and televisions with side by side comparisons also available.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM

This is stupid, to watch those Ultra BD we are gonna sit a less from a meter to watch correctly in a huge 60 ins HDTV.

Or buy a 120 ins or bigger size to watch it a 2 meters of distance.

I am not Carlos Slim.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Oh, not this myth again about needing to sit 5' away from a giant TV to see 4K advantage.

Yesterday and today Sony Canada did a comparison on two 65" TV. One is playing HD, the other is playing the same feed but upscaled to 4k (not even native 4k). Both screens were located 8ft away from the nearest seats, and 100% of the viewers of hundreds of dealers, journalists can easily tell which is which.

Again, this is only a 65" screen from 8'-16' away playing only upscaled blu-ray (Adele concert, to be exact).

So much with your theory of needing to sit 5' away from a giant screen. 65" is not giant and even people who are standing 16' away can accurately tell the difference between HD and upscaled 4k.

On the other side of the room, Sony projected 130' native 4K video viewed from about 20' away and people still be able to see the advantage of 4K.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Do you think that the example of a concert is good?

Give examples of movies, not a concert.