Finally happened to me... a tale of woe. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Finally happened to me... a tale of woe.

So I sit down last night and fire up the Xbox for some downloading. I head over to the Memory area to delete the Halo 3 beta since it's over , then proceed to enter in my token code to download the Animatrix that came with my Complete Matrix Collection. The download begins and I start to move around the interface looking to see what's new when my console freezes. Hmm... this has never happened before. I walk over and hit the power button and turn the machine back on... three red lights... general hardware failure. NOOOO!!!!!!! This launch Xbox 360 has been working great for me. It's sitting in a well ventilated environment. No dust collecting near the fans. So I have no idea what could have caused it. I start unglugging parts of the console to determine if maybe a certian add-on is causing the failure. No dice. I can get the system to boot back up, but after a few minutes it will lock up. Pink checkerboard squares fill the screen. I'll power it up when I get home tonight, but I'm thinking I'm going to be making a call to Xbox Support.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Isn't the usually symptom caused by the motherboard warping? Do you play the system often? Hours at a time?

You said it was a launch system so your MS warranty is up. Sounds like you'll have to shell out $120 or so to get it fixed. If you do, at least you'll get a new 1 year warranty.

Good luck! If my system goes after my BB PRP is up, I'm not going to bother replacing it.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 AM

ouch that sucks. it happened to me too before. i already knew what this topic was going to be about as soon as i read the title. hope you get it fixed or upgraded.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post
Isn't the usually symptom caused by the motherboard warping? Do you play the system often? Hours at a time?

You said it was a launch system so your MS warranty is up. Sounds like you'll have to shell out $120 or so to get it fixed. If you do, at least you'll get a new 1 year warranty.

Good luck! If my system goes after my BB PRP is up, I'm not going to bother replacing it.
Actually I don't get to play as much as I want to. I played the Halo 3 Beta for about an hour on Sunday, but before then I hadn't turned it on since Thursday and even then just to do some downloads. My wife is deploying next week so I've been spending as much time as I can with her then gaming on the 360. I'll probably pay for the repair. I'm not ready to buy an Elite or even a Core since I already have the 120GB drive.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
So I sit down last night and fire up the Xbox for some downloading. I head over to the Memory area to delete the Halo 3 beta since it's over , then proceed to enter in my token code to download the Animatrix that came with my Complete Matrix Collection. The download begins and I start to move around the interface looking to see what's new when my console freezes. Hmm... this has never happened before. I walk over and hit the power button and turn the machine back on... three red lights... general hardware failure. NOOOO!!!!!!! This launch Xbox 360 has been working great for me. It's sitting in a well ventilated environment. No dust collecting near the fans. So I have no idea what could have caused it. I start unglugging parts of the console to determine if maybe a certian add-on is causing the failure. No dice. I can get the system to boot back up, but after a few minutes it will lock up. Pink checkerboard squares fill the screen. I'll power it up when I get home tonight, but I'm thinking I'm going to be making a call to Xbox Support.
Sorry to hear that, it has happened to me also. A good advise is to buy it from Costco or Sam's Club, they have a no questions asked returned policy for the life of your system (or your life ).
Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Welcome to the club! I am on my 4th Console since my original Launch one and I can tell you this if the 4th one dies on me I will take legal action against MS. I have spoken to corporate on several occasions and all they can
do is replace the damages one. I have received this last one about a month
ago and so far so good, but I have no doubt in my mind that it will die within 6 months. You will be without your console for at least 10 to 12 business days and possible more if you dont call ASAP. This has been by far the worst product I have ever purchased in my life but I enjoy it very much and that is
the only reason I put up with this treatment. I dont currently have the time or money to do anything right now but I think a small website should be put up with detailed information and a petition made to hold MS accountable for its poorly constructed console.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Im on my 4th as well, the pink checkerboard pattern is due to warping of the console which causes the three red lights of death. Like i said in other threads the heatsink can't cool off the cpu and gpu, therefore a slight warpage occures to the point that it messes up the board.

As for games and what not, dont do a gamertag recovery or anything crazy. you can lose and or corrupt your harddrive. You also may corrupt your harddrive when getting yours replaced.

xbox live account and games are attached to your serial number on the console same goes for the original harddrive. If you buy a new hdd you have to stay connected online, However people have experienced problems with harddrive swapping while connected. It's more of a security issue.

gears, file a class action lawsuit, im doing the same if my 4th dies after 4-6months, like my others!!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 PM

Called them when I got home and I'm sending back the console. It's gonna cost me $139, but I get a new 1 year warrenty, and a free month of Live. (Whoopie) The lady told me to only send the core console back. The HDD and power supply stay with me I suppose. I just read an article that MS might be installing another heatsink into consoles that are sent in for repair so hopfully this will be the only time I have to do this.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 AM

That's exactly why I had my Dad buy mine at Costco. You get a free lifetime product replacement plan through them. If it ever breaks, just take it back to the store and they'll give you a brand new one.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Banned

no worries... it'll come back pretty fast. did for me. i was in the same boat as you, time frame wise... but i didn't have the 3 red lights. i had 1 red light in the bottom corner. the guy in the phone was like... what? anyway, hope you get it back fast. i think they send them from texas.. i hope you live close to there.