HD DVD Drive Next Gen? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 AM

Question HD DVD Drive Next Gen?

Since the HD DVD drive connects via USB, and is also able to be recognized by PCs and used by them, could this work with what may be the next Xbox system (whenever that comes out in the next several years)?

I know any answer would just be speculation, I'm only wondering this because if the next Xbox has HDMI 1.3 then wouldn't owners of the HD DVD drive be able to actually use True HD audio tracks? Or maybe just PCM it to a decoder?

Spoiler
[I should note that I have a standalone player, I'm just wondering about the possibilities of the HD drive with the next console. I'm also fully aware HD is dead, but my question is just that.]
Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 AM

I would assume that it would still work. I for one hope that it does, even though I too have a SA player. Depending on how Microsoft handles BC (here's hoping for full BC on day one), I might still have my 360 plugged in.

As to your second question, I have no idea, but it would certainly be nice. I would be especially happy if they allowed bitstreaming (or internal decoding, although this would be a stretch) of DTS HD-MA.

If the next Xbox supports Blu-ray (which IMO it should), then perhaps there is a chance that TrueHD and DTS HD-MA could be used with the add-on. But maybe not, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the subject.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM

IMO the next gen Xbox would still have to be licensed and include some sort of playback software and I don't think that's the part that will happen. If you can hack it and put some sort of Windows on it and use Windows based playback software, that would be a different story cause at that point it would just be like any other PC.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
IMO the next gen Xbox would still have to be licensed and include some sort of playback software and I don't think that's the part that will happen. If you can hack it and put some sort of Windows on it and use Windows based playback software, that would be a different story cause at that point it would just be like any other PC.
This is a valid point, I hadn't thought about licensing issues.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 AM

I was thinking that HD DVD could live on as a gaming medium. If you think about it, it makes sense! A cheaper alternative to Blu-ray, and it would be almost proprietary, as hardly anyone has a PC HD DVD drive (actually, I think very few do).
Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM

HD-DVD = dead. If the next-gen Xbox has any optical media, it should be Blu-ray, unless that has been supplanted by something else. It would be great if, by that time, both the removal storage and internal storage on the system were both solid state. I'd like to see 64GB or larger flash-type media for retail games, and a 1TB+ solid state hard drive for game saves, music and video, etc. Getting rid of the moving parts, motors, etc., associated with DVD/Blu-ray drives and magnetic hard drives would make smaller, cooler, and less power hungry game systems, plus removing common points of failure typically associated with motorized drives.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu89dawgs View Post
HD-DVD = dead. If the next-gen Xbox has any optical media, it should be Blu-ray, unless that has been supplanted by something else. It would be great if, by that time, both the removal storage and internal storage on the system were both solid state. I'd like to see 64GB or larger flash-type media for retail games, and a 1TB+ solid state hard drive for game saves, music and video, etc. Getting rid of the moving parts, motors, etc., associated with DVD/Blu-ray drives and magnetic hard drives would make smaller, cooler, and less power hungry game systems, plus removing common points of failure typically associated with motorized drives.
Yes, while it would be nice to see support for the add-on for those who still use HD-DVD, it is dead and therefore should not be used for gaming.

And while, solid state drives would be ideal, I don't believe a 1TB drive will be affordable by the time the next Xbox launches. Although I would love for Microsoft (or Sony) to prove me wrong.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 PM

It is going to need an optical drive if its going to be backwards compatible. The alternative is for MS to come up with a way where your Disc version can somehow be traded in or activated for a DD version of the game. Either that or no backwards compatible at all.

Just because HD DVD is a dead for movies, doesn't mean it shouldn't or couldn't be licensed from Toshiba for other uses such as gaming media. Just like HDI, I'm sure one day it could end up on DD of movies. I know early on after the format war ended, there was a lot of talk about HDI being used for that, but I haven't heard much about it lately.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
It is going to need an optical drive if its going to be backwards compatible. The alternative is for MS to come up with a way where your Disc version can somehow be traded in or activated for a DD version of the game. Either that or no backwards compatible at all.

Just because HD DVD is a dead for movies, doesn't mean it shouldn't or couldn't be licensed from Toshiba for other uses such as gaming media. Just like HDI, I'm sure one day it could end up on DD of movies. I know early on after the format war ended, there was a lot of talk about HDI being used for that, but I haven't heard much about it lately.
NO!

MS wouldnt do something so retarded - if they go with a next gen optical format, expect blu-ray so they could offer value to their customers with br playback, and knock that talking point off the ps3.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 AM

That would be cool but this Bluray beast will be hard to beat.