xbox 360 freezing - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-12-2009, 11:07 PM

Default xbox 360 freezing

okay so one day i was playing my 360 and it froze up. i turned it on and it had the rrod. i shut it of, put a different game in and turned it on. when i turned it on the rrod was still flashing but i was still playing my game untill it froze. i left it alone for a month and i turned it on today and it had rrod. but i reset it and it worked but it keeps on freezing. i did some reset codes on it and it started working a little better and i started playing my game again but now it keeps freezing again i just get more gameplay time. its not the game because i have tried almost all my games
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 AM

The RROD is caused by an over heating chipset inside the system. Essentially the system heats up so much that it cause the adhesive to become gooey and it (the chip) losses it's connection. Reheating the system (the towel trick) can temporarily fix the problem for alot of users, however this isn't a permanent fix and will eventually cause more harm then good. Your console needs repaired plain and simple. If it's under warranty (Manufactored within the last 3 years) contact microsoft either via xbox.com or through the toll free number. If it's out of warranty sell it on this site or on e-bay and go buy yourself a nice arcade unit.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM

I just called MS on a similar issue. My system of 3yrs keeps freezing on me, even opening the tray will cause the screen to get distorted and freeze. Unfortunately I'm not getting any lights (rings of death) so the repair will come out of my pocket $99. This will be the 2nd and last time I fix my 360 (1st time was covered under warranty) my next unit will either be MS's next gen machine, or a PS3.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Seriously you guys should just google xclamp and or try the penny fix.
They work.
If you don't want to shell out 99 bones because the unit is out of warranty.
My halo edition just E74'd on me , lucky me it is covered.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:52 PM

try the towel trick, worked for me.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosul210 View Post
I just called MS on a similar issue. My system of 3yrs keeps freezing on me, even opening the tray will cause the screen to get distorted and freeze. Unfortunately I'm not getting any lights (rings of death) so the repair will come out of my pocket $99. This will be the 2nd and last time I fix my 360 (1st time was covered under warranty) my next unit will either be MS's next gen machine, or a PS3.
Force a rrod. If your console is freezing, then it's on it's way to the rrod or e74 error. Throw a couple of towels over the console and let it run for a good 30-45 minutes. It'll force the rrod and MS can't prove that the console didn't do it on it's own.

I'm on my 4th 360 myself, with my last one crashing last fall. That one had exactly the problem you've described... it started off only freezing during games, then began freezing on the dashboard, and by the time I actually sent it in it was freezing during the startup screen. That console was still under a year old so I was covered regardless, but after enough time watching the screen freeze I eventually got the rrod. Just leave it run for a while... it'll give you the lights eventually then it won't cost you thing to replace.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
Force a rrod. If your console is freezing, then it's on it's way to the rrod or e74 error. Throw a couple of towels over the console and let it run for a good 30-45 minutes. It'll force the rrod and MS can't prove that the console didn't do it on it's own.

I'm on my 4th 360 myself, with my last one crashing last fall. That one had exactly the problem you've described... it started off only freezing during games, then began freezing on the dashboard, and by the time I actually sent it in it was freezing during the startup screen. That console was still under a year old so I was covered regardless, but after enough time watching the screen freeze I eventually got the rrod. Just leave it run for a while... it'll give you the lights eventually then it won't cost you thing to replace.
Excellent suggestions and you are right the freezing started only during game play now it does it all the time. You can bet MS will think long and hard before releasing their next console.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 PM

well i have 2 360 s and i got the rrod on one of mine and i tried the xclamp fix multiple times and it never worked for me so i just sent it in. and i occasionally have rrod on my other one so will they still fix it for free?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 AM

RROD consoles have a 3 year warranty. Look on the back near the serial number, it'll have a manufactor date. If that date was less then 3 years ago then yes they should fix it. That is unless you've opened up your console... once you break the seal on the outside they pretty much won't have anything to do with it.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:51 PM

OMG any idiot that wraps his 360 in a towel to overheat it is a moron...try this instead: Go to window, open window, drop 360 out of window...it does the same thing as the towel trick and penny trick, only faster.

The mother boards heat up and bow. The excess heat drys up the thermal paste, and allows the heat sink to separate from the chip. If you let it sit for a while, the board will cool down and return to its natural shape and allow the chip to make contact with the heat sink again. The xclamps need to be removed and better thermal paste needs to be used...thats the only real fix. Ive been doing it for a while...and the only machines I cant fix are the ones that were f'd up by people doing the towel trick or penny fix, or buying one of the crap kits on ebay. If your machine still occasionally works, its not too late!!! Have someone who knows what their doing fix it for u before the heat kills your chip!!