IP Address failed?!? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Question IP Address failed?!?

Hello-

I've had Live for two years with few problems but all of a sudden I cannot connect. The troubleshooting test keeps failing on IP Address, and it tells me something like "could not lease IP address from DHCP server". I have my 360 wired to a Linksys WRT54G router which I have never had a problem with. My laptops still work wirelessly and wired so it is something between the 360 and the router. I even tried buying a new router (same model) because we've had some bad thunderstorms lately and thought maybe that had something to do with it.

Something else that is interesting though, this is my 4th console, when I first received this particular one everytime I would connect to Live within the first three minutes it would disconnect me for no reason. Once I re-connected I didn't have any problems until I would turn the console off and then it would start all over again. It did this for about a week until it finally stopped connecting.

I've tried bypassing the router and plugging directly into the console and it works fine; downloaded the new update even. I've called Xbox Support several times and I get a different answer each time. I have made sure that my ports are open and the router has DHCP enabled. I tried setting a static IP, Subnet, and Gateway for the 360 but when I do that it tells me that "there was a problem verifying the Gateway" or something like that. I've double checked the Gateway and it should be correct. Any other suggestions on what may be the problem?

Thanks.
g
Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 PM

man when i first set up my wireless adapter for the 360 in february, I had problems like that...
I ended up having to go into the router setting in my computer, disabling the WEP key, and then making sure it was set to like the Automaticaly assign IP or whatever. THen i just put the wep key back on, which you also type in on the 360.

im not really sure how i got it to work but just messing around with it for a few hours that day finaly got it to work....
Old 05-24-2007, 03:10 PM

Yeah I disabled the WEP and tweaked everything else I can think of. I've been trying to fix this for 15 days with multiple forum posts and several Xbox Support phone calls.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmart thing View Post
Yeah I disabled the WEP and tweaked everything else I can think of. I've been trying to fix this for 15 days with multiple forum posts and several Xbox Support phone calls.
Your wireless network shows up when you search for networks, right? What is the signal strength? When I used the wireless adapter I had a real hard time connecting to anything with less than 3 bars.

Did you enable UPNP in the router?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:11 PM

Sorry. I don't even know why I put that. WEP is disabled but that doesn't really matter becasue I am wired directly to the router.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Oh, wow, then that's a completely different story. Have you tried a friend's router to see if you have better luck?

You don't have some sort of weird MAC filtering or DHCP limits on do you?

Also I think the gateway for the 360 would need to be the router if set up statically. Basically this tells the 360 where to look for an address outside of it's subnet, which everything on the internet would be.

Have you tried updating the firmware on your router?

Last edited by crackdown; 05-24-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:19 PM

I have actually tried two different routers and I get the same result with both of them. I don't have any DHCP restrictions or anything like that. I double checked the gateway with a laptop to make sure it was right. The firmware on my Linksys is V. 8, which unless they just release a v. 8.1 or something, should be the most recent. I have also tried factory resetting both the 360 and the router as well as using automatic and manual network settings for the 360.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 AM

It's very strange that it works find when you connect it directly to the modem. When you do this you are basically just changing the DHCP source.

So does it work everytime when you directly connect it to the modem? If it does, the problem would not seem to be with the xbox. I can even understand the tech support

I had an issue with my regular xbox and an old smc router back in the day. Something to do with the xbox's limited ip stack and the router didn't like it.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:44 AM

put www-xbox-com in front of this where - equals .

I hate this 10 posts thing.

/en-US/live/connect/linksyswrt54g.htm

The only problem with this is if you disable UPNP, you could be limited to "STRICT" or "MODERATE" and joinging online games could be an issue.

Last edited by crackdown; 05-25-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:50 AM

It seems a lot of people have had problems with that router and the 360. Do a search on google for it and the 360.

One such post I found about it dropping people's connections.

linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52838