VGA cable issues... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-16-2007, 10:19 PM

Default VGA cable issues...

I've been using the VGA cables to connect my 360 to my HDTV. The add-on drive is able to upconvert DVD's when using VGA cables. Anyway I ran into a problem and would like to know if anyone else has encountered this. I was in the dashboard playing around w/ some settings, I unintentionally set the resolution to the max (my TV has a native resolution of 720p) causing my screen to blackout and the red ring of death appeared on my 360 before completely shutting off. I turned the system back on but there was a message from my TV saying "mode not supported". I swapped out the VGA w/ component cables to find my system working perfectly. When I try to connect the VGA cables back on, my TV recognizes the connection to the input but cannot receive the signal (it displays the same message). Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:24 AM

So you need to change the settings back to a resolution supported on your television, but you can't see the screen to change the settings, right? I would try memorizing the order you need to push the buttons in order to change the settings using component, then swap with the VGA cable and try to change the settings even though you can't see what is displayed. In other words, you'll have to go in and change the settings back blindly.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the advice but I've already tried this and it does not work. I don't think there is any other way to have my DVD's upconverted through my 360 w/o actually having and Elite (HDMI).
Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.escobar View Post
Thanks for the advice but I've already tried this and it does not work. I don't think there is any other way to have my DVD's upconverted through my 360 w/o actually having and Elite (HDMI).
It must be a VGA incompatibility issue with your television, then. My Premium 360 upconverts DVDs just fine over VGA.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.escobar View Post
I've been using the VGA cables to connect my 360 to my HDTV. The add-on drive is able to upconvert DVD's when using VGA cables. Anyway I ran into a problem and would like to know if anyone else has encountered this. I was in the dashboard playing around w/ some settings, I unintentionally set the resolution to the max (my TV has a native resolution of 720p) causing my screen to blackout and the red ring of death appeared on my 360 before completely shutting off. I turned the system back on but there was a message from my TV saying "mode not supported". I swapped out the VGA w/ component cables to find my system working perfectly. When I try to connect the VGA cables back on, my TV recognizes the connection to the input but cannot receive the signal (it displays the same message). Any suggestions?
support.microsoft.com/kb/911059

I think this is what you are looking for. It should reset your vga setting to 640x480 which hopefully your tv can display then you can set it back to whatever you want.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Or, alternatively, plug your VGA cable into your computer monitor, change the settings from there back to a mode supported on your TV, and then plug everything back into your TV.
Your 360 will 'remember' the settings.