Update Has Effectively Bricked my 360 Add-On - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Update Has Effectively Bricked my Add-On for the 360

Wow. I am not happy. So I downloaded the update this afternoon and played around with a few HD DVDs (Phantom of the Opera, Dreamgirls) and turned on/off the dynamic range compression settings, etc. I came back downstairs and visited the forum to report my findings of the update, etc.

I just went back upstairs because I wanted to test out an SD DVD and see if I could somehow change the settings for audio to output via DTS. I put in the fourth disc of CSI:NY Season 1. The opening CBS logo came up, and then the screen went black. I could hear the HD DVD drive working as if it were trying to find a certain spot on the disc (you could hear the motor move step by step). Then the noise stopped, but the screen was still blank. I pushed the Xbox Dashboard button on the remote (the big green X) and then pushed Y to go back to the dashboard. I waited for a few minutes and nothing happened. I then hit the power button and waited a few minutes for everything to cool down. I turned the Xbox 360 back on with the drive connected, and popped in a different SD DVD. The motor in the drive made two small "grunting" noises, and that was it, almost as if the drive couldn't recognize the disk. I tried an HD DVD and the same thing happened.

So basically now when I try to load a disc into the drive, after pushing "close HD DVD tray" on the dashboard screen, the drive makes two "grunting noises" and then on the dashboard it says "Open HD DVD Tray" rather than "Play DVD" or "Play HD DVD."

I've never had anything break on me like this before. I don't have time to call Microsoft today but I guess I will have to tomorrow. I'm going to have to dig out that receipt - maybe Best Buy will just exchange it for me....

Last edited by chad5871; 05-15-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:51 PM

Oh, Sorry to hear that. >.<
Old 05-15-2007, 04:57 PM

isnt it just the add-on then, not the 360? b/c when ppl talk about bricking the 360, they are saying the 360 has the dreaded ring of death and you can't even see the load up screen. from what i read, it just sounds like the add-on is screwed up. sorry to hear the problem, though
Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsho01 View Post
isnt it just the add-on then, not the 360? b/c when ppl talk about bricking the 360, they are saying the 360 has the dreaded ring of death and you can't even see the load up screen. from what i read, it just sounds like the add-on is screwed up. sorry to hear the problem, though
Yeah, sorry - maybe the thread title is misleading. The update bricked my ADD-ON. They 360 still works and plays SD DVDs and games just fine. I'll change the thread title.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

doesn't sound like the update had anything to do with it... just bad timing.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post
doesn't sound like the update had anything to do with it... just bad timing.
Possible. I've considered this. Has anyone else had any problems with their HD DVD drives that are similar? I even tried hooking it up to my PC and it still won't recognize disks...
Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM

the pc won't recognize discs unless you have the right programs
Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 PM

sorry to hear the bad news.I always try to wait a few days on updates now for this reason,to see if i hear stories of people's stuff dying.My 2nd 360 crashed the day after the fall update
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsho01 View Post
the pc won't recognize discs unless you have the right programs
I know. I have said programs loaded on my PC (I've used it before). When you click on the drive in Windows Explorer or in PowerDVD it says "Please Insert a Disk into Drive K:\" I'm calling MS tomorrow. It has been just over 90 days since purchase (it's been about three months and a week) so I'm hoping they'll be nice enough to offer a free repair. I'm so excited about Lost in Translation coming out in the next couple weeks, so hopefully I can have HD DVD capabilities by then...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM

UPDATE

I just got off the phone with Xbox customer support. They tried clearing the cache and re-downloading the firmware update but those things didn't work. I was suprised that they didn't have a record of when the product was purchased, so when they asked me the approximate date of purchase, I told them February 15th, which put it in at just under 90 days. They offered to repair it for free, and so tomorrow I will be packaging up my beloved HD DVD add-on and sending it to a service center in McAllen, Texas. Fortunately Xbox has a service site where you can access all repair orders and their current status, so I'll be able to keep updated with how the repair is going on. I've heard from several people that turnaround on HD DVD hardware repairs is pretty quick, so hopefully I'll get my player back in just a couple weeks. Hope everything goes according to plan...