Projectors for gaming??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-27-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Projectors for gaming???

Right ive googled this question for a while but no simple anwsers.

What is better Rear or Front projectors. I have an xbox 360 and want a big hd screen. So for gaming which is better, also is one more expensive.

Also price leads me to my second quick question, the only reason im looking at projectors is it seems incrediably cheap for 1080p at such large size compared to plasma or lcd, but is projector quality really as good and if so, why do people still buy lcd/plasma???
Old 11-27-2006, 12:35 PM

Here's something people usually forget, if you have a Projector, you need a screen to project on. Even if you have a white wall, paint will absorb some of the light so you will need to get special reflective paint and repaint the wall or buy a free standing screen. Also the location of the components (DVD/VCR/Receiver) in relation to the projector may mean extra cabling, which is another additional cost. The brightness and contrast may be an issue when viewing the picture depending on your room. Also there won't be as many hookups for multiple devices and usually no TV tuners.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:45 PM

well i just did a quick check and most screens (up to 80") are anywere between $100-$200 - they say suitable for CRT, DLP, LCD, OHP and Film Projectors, doesn't that mean they are able to play 1080p HD? That would still make the projectors over half the price compared to a plasma screen half the size.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 PM

There shouldn't be any problem with a decent rear-projection system - we have played games on ours and they looked good. I don't really have much advice for front projection though, other than that you need to control your ambient light much more than you would otherwise have to do.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM

ok a friend just told me most screens have bad resolution an du need to buy special ones for high-def (but hes not sure), is this true???
Old 11-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Yes, you have to look at the resolution of the projector. If it doesn't say 1080i/p // 720i/p then it's not an HD compatible projector, same with any TV. Some of the cheap ones (most really) are VGA 640x480 or 800/600, which are both poor resolutions for a 80" screen.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:13 PM

i dont mean the projector, i mean the white screen that u project onto.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Screens don't have resolutions... they're a screen... The projector has the resolution. There may be custom HD screens which are coated in a higher quality surface, but I wouldn't know enough about the actual screens.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

The reason why projector's are not more popular is to do with the following:

1) Can be difficult to see the image properly during the day, it may require blinds in your room;

2) Need the appropriate room to fit a 90"+ screen;

3) Cabling can be an issue, given that your 'display' is far away from your other components.

However, projector's are cheap and give you the cinema experience like no other display. In an ideal world you would use one in conjunction with a Plasma/LCD.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:22 AM

You'll need to get an HD projector. I have used 2 projectors with good results from both of them. My 1st projector was in Optoma H31 which has a 480p native resolution at 16:9. DVDs look great with that projecting onto a wall mounted 77" 16:9 screen, but standard definition is pretty bad. You can probably pick one up from eBay for pretty cheap (under $1000).

Now I have the Mitsubishi HC5000 1080p native projector, and both the 360 and HD-DVDs from the add-on dive look awesome. DVDs look great too, but standard def is near unwatchable. The new "affordable" 1080p projectors are still pretty steep ranging between $4500 and >$6000. You can also get 720p native projectors for anywhere between $1200 and $2000 which look great as well.

Make sure that you do the proper research into projectors and how they work before making a purchase. You would hate to think that you could get a 110" screen only to find out after you have purchased said screen that your projector can't throw an image that large at the distance from the screen. It's more complicated than just going out and buying a "regular" HD-DVD, but I think that it is worth the extra effort. Where can one even get a 77" TV, and at what cost? And these projectors, if given enough throw space, can be up to about 300" (although most consumer Home Theater projectors shouldn't be on a screen much bigger than about 120", or 10ft!!!!).

Also, don't skimp on a cheap screen as it makes a huge difference. Be prepared to spend some good money on a good screen from a reputable dealer.