Do I need the Elite? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-06-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Do I need the Elite?

Well I've been thinking, and I'm not entirely sure if I need to get an elite, or would I just be better off grabbing the premium package. My TV has 1 HDMI input, and that is currently being used by the HD DVD player (HD-A2) I bought a couple of weeks ago. My initial plan was to buy the Elite and get the HD DVD addon drive for the system, and then the HDMI would have been more important to me because I would be playing HD DVDs with the system. My TV only supports 1080i anyway. I do like the white color on the normal 360's, but I also like the black as well, so to be honest the color doesn't really bother me much. The big thing here is that I'm not entirely sure if I need the extra hard drive space. If I can just pick up the wireless adapter for the system and stream video/audio from my PC, then I guess it's not too much an issue for me. However, I'm not sure how much stuff I will be downloading off the marketplace. Mostly it would probably be demos anyway. Any advice would be helpful, and quick responses appreciated because I would like to pick up a system today.

**Ooops, I meant to post this in the 360 board, if a mod wants to move it, go ahead **

Last edited by BrianPotter; 05-06-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:15 PM

i don't think you need the elite. from the sound of things i think you are better off with the regular premium. the main attraction of the elite was hdmi capable of 1080p and the bigger drive. your tv isn't capable of 1080p, so that would be a waste just to buy it for the hdmi, when you have the h2-a2 player that can do the same thing when playing hd dvds, but possibly even better. in terms of the hdd, if you don't think you'll use all that space, then just get the premium. of course the elite would be a great a future proof system (at the current moment) because of the 1080p (if you want to upgrade the tv) and the 120 gb (b/c you can never have enough space). in terms of pricing, the only thing that would swing me to buy the elite if i didn't have the premium is the $90 additional you get for the hdmi and extra space. sorry if this makes it more confusing but this is just my take on your situation.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 PM

I got the Elite and I should say that the picture quality (my HDTV is also 1080i with 720P native) is a lot better via HDMI imo. If you are primarily a gamer it would not really matter I guess. But if you watch HD videos too and don't want to settle on anything less, then go for it. But basically, other than the HDMI and the larger disk capacity and color, it's the same "noisy" PREMIUM xbox.

Also, it's not really black. It's close to dark grayish black compared to your other components in your home theater.

Since I also have only 1 HDMI input, I got myself a 4x1 HDMI switch at monoprice and it's working great.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM

I ALWAYS recommend to anyone getting a Xbox 360 for the first time to get the Elite. Yes, it's an extra $90... but for that $90 you are getting a better looking console (IMO) with a better video output suite, the black controller is easier to keep clean (LOL), and IF you need to HDD space, it's an expensive upgrade.

Let's assume that you buy the Premium... and then in 6 months your HDD is full (it's really only 14GB, because of the OS and other crap)... now you are going to have to spend $180 to upgrade to the 120GB HDD... now you have spend almost $600 for a 360 with a 120GB HDD! That doesn't make much sense to me.

Upgrading from the Premium to the Elite is a lot different that getting the Elite from the start.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE View Post
Also, it's not really black. It's close to dark grayish black compared to your other components in your home theater.
I noticed that when I was watching the Cnet review... but I thought that it was the lighting (since I haven't seen one out of the box in person). How much darker is the controller than the console itself? I have seen a bunch of the controllers, and they all look 'black' compared to the color I saw on the Cnet review... is the controller darker than the console, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE View Post
yeah, this matte black finish really annoys me. I just ordered a chrome black faceplate to help make it look better next to my PS3.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

Microsoft really dropped the ball with the "elite".

They should have added wifi and HDDVD playback to truly make it "elite".

HDMI and a bigger HDD aren't elite features. They did this in reponse to the PS3. Even sillier, is the 360 will never "require" HDMI for high resolutions over component, so it's kind of useless without something like HDDVD playback included.

So you get an HDMI output they could have made standard when the 360 launched, and a bigger HDD.

But if you are a first time 360 buyer, of course get the elite. The HDD it comes with alone is a 180$ value (the scam of a price they sell it for seperatly, a 200gb PC HDD is barely 75$ at best).

Last edited by VC-1; 05-06-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post
(the scam of a price they sell it for seperatly, a 200gb PC HDD is barely 75$ at best).
thats interesting... I didn't even know there is a 200gb notebook hdd running @ 5400 let alone for $75. please provide proof of this

I think the price for the 120gb hdd is fair compared to the $100 price tag for the 20gb drive WHICH REALLY IS A SCAM.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post
I noticed that when I was watching the Cnet review... but I thought that it was the lighting (since I haven't seen one out of the box in person). How much darker is the controller than the console itself? I have seen a bunch of the controllers, and they all look 'black' compared to the color I saw on the Cnet review... is the controller darker than the console, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Yup, the controller is darker than the console. As a reference, it's a shade close to my HD DVD player black skin. It's also very close to a PS3 black controller.

Last edited by ARPRINCE; 05-06-2007 at 09:59 PM.