? re: internet and the 360 + add-on - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Default ? re: internet and the 360 + add-on

OK. So I bought the Elite and the add-on (upgrade from the original X-Box). Out of the box it works great. I have only played a couple videos (Happy Feet, Syriana, Planet Earth), none all the way through yet.

Here is my question: Do I need a connection to the Internet on a full time basis? I really do not want to spend a $100 for the wireless adapter. Can I just disconnect the add-on every once in a while and plug in an Ethernet cable to do updates? Is there a viable, non $100 M$ option if constant wireless is better?

I did try to search, I know I have read varying subject loosely based on this, but I can not find any of the threads. Links would be appreciated, as would direct response.

Obviously new to the site (lurked for a long time), lots of good stuff here!

MM
Old 05-05-2007, 05:15 PM

Do you use the 360 for games also? Or stricly for HD DVDs. Especially if you got the elite I would figure you would be downloading a lot of shit onto it.

For HD DVD updates you should be ok just connecting it once in a while but for all the other stuff I personaly would want it connected all the time. (Arcade games, download trailers, demos, TV shows, chat with friends, etc)

You can get the official wireless adapter on amazon for $88. Still kinda steep but not too bad, after my girl knocked my ethernet cord once and it tilted the 360 enough to scratch one of my games I went out the next day to get the wireless adapter.

Oh and welcome aboard, glad you made the right descision
Old 05-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Special Member

For movies yes temp connections are ok, for games no as tehre are always little updates here and there that will come up for the games....As it has been said you can get the M$ version for $88 on Amazon or you can look on Ebay. There are also other adapters that will work that are cheaper.....
Old 05-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor mouth View Post
Can I just disconnect the add-on every once in a while and plug in an Ethernet cable to do updates?
I did exactly that up till about 2 months ago. Had no problems. Except you don't have to unplug the add-on. But like Tranz just said, its REALLY nice to be hooked up full time.

Oh, and welcome to HDD
Old 05-05-2007, 07:37 PM

Well I took care of this by simply putting a wireless card in my PC so I could have my wireless router and modem right next to my 360. That way I saved on buying a wireless adapter for the 360.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBuff22 View Post
Well I took care of this by simply putting a wireless card in my PC so I could have my wireless router and modem right next to my 360. That way I saved on buying a wireless adapter for the 360.
Brilliant.... Great idea.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Making progress.

To answer tranzparentl , yep it will be worked over with the games. In the scheme of things, I guess the adapter is the way to go.

I have an old (802.11b) 2.4ghz Linksys USB adapter, yes it came with a CD (funny how Tivo did not need the drivers!). I tried it with the add-on and I get a power light and a signal light, but the 360 says nothing is connected. I have read about cheaper alternatives to the M$ version, how do I know they will work before buying? Any recommendations on specific ones to look at? Am I missing something with the Linksys I have?

Thanks for the help and ideas!
Old 05-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Here's a pretty long article about it and they say the wireless adapter is definately the way to go.

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews...ng-Adapter/p2/

Quote:
Conclusion from article

Of course you can use any other existing wireless bridge or even use the built-in Ethernet port found in the Xbox 360, but you wonít be able to enjoy the unique functionality found in Xbox 360 wireless networking adapter.

Although you can get wireless bridges for less than $99, there is no way you can get something better than the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter at this point. Unless you donít care about having a nasty cable reaching the top of your Xbox 360, the Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter is simply a must have.

Its performance is on par with any other wireless bridge and its ability to attach to the console while sporting the same look of the system puts the Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter on top of the competition.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Thanks. Done.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBuff22 View Post
This is exactly what I did. I bought a D-link wireless adaptor for my computer... and then split my cable signal for the TV... 1 into my SA8300, the other into my cable modem... and then into my router. Now my HD-A1, my Xbox 360, my Wii, and if I ever get one... my PS3 will always be wired for internet connection. SUH-WEET!