Planet Earth HD DVD and 360 HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Planet Earth HD DVD and 360 HD DVD

So I bought the new HD box set of Planet Earth today. Got home and put the DVD in my xbox 360 hd dvd but I had no luck. It wouldn't play. All 4 dvd's that came with the box set would not play. Every other HD DVD that Ive ever bought for this system works perfect. I took planet earth back to the store to return it. They tride the dvd's on a toshiba hd dvd player in the store. It worked fine, so basically these DVD's are having a conflict with the 360 player.. Anyone else having this problem?? I heard Children of men had a conflict with the xbox 360 player too.. so maybe planet earth is the same....lame
Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 AM

interesting , i have the 360 add on and planet earth with no problems at all
Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 AM

Lucky you! The weird thing about my planet earth is that the DVD sorta plays... I get the FBI warning and then it says HD BBC but right after that the dvd player locks up and I get blank screen. =(
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 AM

I posted this on another forum too;

You should have you 360 connected to the 'net when you play this title. It does a small update apparently and then plays fine...
Old 04-25-2007, 07:17 AM

Yea, CoM was the same because of the disc not the player. I haven't had a problem with any of the hd dvds I own.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:56 AM

Hopefully my copy will play fine.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
I posted this on another forum too;

You should have you 360 connected to the 'net when you play this title. It does a small update apparently and then plays fine...

That WORKED!!! thank you soo much! I couldn't figure this out for soo long and it ended up giving me a headache!! Such a simple fix too.....

thanks!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:52 AM

Yesterday I was so excited about the possibility to see for the first time the BBC HD extravaganza called Planet Earth. Especially after so many wonderful reviews out there. Unfortunately none of the 4 discs are playing on my XBox 360 HD-DVD player. The only thing that I had a chance to see was the FBI Warning and the BBC HD opening logo. After this the player stop running and it doesn't respond to any command given through the remote control. I am complete frustrated. It seems that now I am really facing what many people are saying/complain about this player. It is really a bad piece of deal. I am so mad to be an early adopter and finance this new technology. Furthermore to have carried the HD-DVD flag and have been complete “against” Blue-Ray technology. Everything was acting accordingly until few weeks ago. I started notice that subtitles were not working on the following titles: Babel, Children of Men, and Payback. By that time I send an e-mail to Xbox and the answer was pathetic: “…the composite cable is not firmly connected… the television is not tuned to the correct input selection…” (Service Request Number 10325305 _ _). So I decided to contact Xbox Customer Service by phone to see what they could be doing for me and I’ve just got this “…this is a new technology and it is most probably a software defect…” Last night I contacted them again and they asked me to send the player to a repair center (Service Request Number 10342090_ _). I know already what is going to happen in my case. NOTHING AT ALL!!! Let me explain why I am feeling this way:

1) I will pay a courier to send my player to the designated repair location;

2) The repair center should have a couple of discs that they use in order to check the players;

3) It doesn’t mean that those titles (that they have) are one of the above (do you thing a Planet Earth copy will be around?);

4) They will hook my player up with a TV set and put a disc to play;

5) If I got a problem on 4 of my titles (out of 26) it means that I have just 15% of chance to have the player showing any problem on the subtitle issue because they will not be able to check Planet Earth by themselves. I guess my odds are really low – close to zero.

6) Finally (after 2 weeks), my player will be mailed back to me without any repair done.

7) I will get it back and put it on the garbage. Nonetheless it cost me just $199.

I won’t stop buying HD Discs but certainly no more HD-DVD and Xbox flags to be carried out. Welcome PS3 and Blue-Ray. I am really looking forward to Samsung duo combo, BR-Java, PS3 80Gb, etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:45 PM

This might be a stupid question but did you connect to xbox live and update the newest patch? I have the first gen xbox 360 and first gen hd dvd and the updates worked great for me. Ive had some overheating problems with my xbox 360 but the newest patch for the hd dvd worked great. All I did was connect to xbox live, put in the planet earth hd dvd and then it said there are new updates for the hd dvd system.. installing this made my Planet earth hd dvd work. I had the exact same problem as you. All I could see was the FBI warning and the HD BBC screen. After these two things appeared the screen would go black. Download the update and it will work
Old 04-25-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTrav View Post
This might be a stupid question but did you connect to xbox live and update the newest patch? I have the first gen xbox 360 and first gen hd dvd and the updates worked great for me. Ive had some overheating problems with my xbox 360 but the newest patch for the hd dvd worked great. All I did was connect to xbox live, put in the planet earth hd dvd and then it said there are new updates for the hd dvd system.. installing this made my Planet earth hd dvd work. I had the exact same problem as you. All I could see was the FBI warning and the HD BBC screen. After these two things appeared the screen would go black. Download the update and it will work
I was not connected at that time... I will try tonight... Thanks.