audio sync problems with xbox 360 HD DVD add-on - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-20-2006, 05:39 PM

Default audio sync problems with xbox 360 HD DVD add-on

audio sync problems with xbox 360 hd-dvd add-on

I noticed significant lip sync problems with "grand Prix" hd-dvd. To my eyes and ears the voices are delayed compared to video. It was so noticeable to me that i thought i was watching a dubbed foreign film. I can understand, however, how many would overlook it if they were not paying close attention. According to review of this hd-dvd at high-def digest website this movie has "dolby digital plus" soundtrack only. Their review makes no mention of audio sync problems, which makes me suspect that the 360 add-on is the culprit. Unfortunately, I do not possess a stand alone hd-dvd player to do a/b comparison. FWIW i am using official xbox 360 hd/av cable with optical into a yamaha receiver. sony xbr1 32"lcd display.

question:
is this problem evident on stand alone hd-dvd players? implicating the movie itself or hd-dvd platform as the cause?

to high-def digest staff:
please carefully look/listen for audio sync issues for your forthcoming review. this problem is manifest on other hd-dvd's as discussed at length on avs forums. people have posted that it is very obvious in batman begins when someone hammers a nail or something (read the post on avs forums). this audio sync problem is in addition to the other reported audio issues of poor audio quality(low volume and "overcompressed" ) with dd+ that makes it WORSE than sd-dvd dd.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eps3 View Post
audio sync problems with xbox 360 hd-dvd add-on

I noticed significant lip sync problems with "grand Prix" hd-dvd. To my eyes and ears the voices are delayed compared to video. It was so noticeable to me that i thought i was watching a dubbed foreign film. I can understand, however, how many would overlook it if they were not paying close attention. According to review of this hd-dvd at high-def digest website this movie has "dolby digital plus" soundtrack only. Their review makes no mention of audio sync problems, which makes me suspect that the 360 add-on is the culprit. Unfortunately, I do not possess a stand alone hd-dvd player to do a/b comparison. FWIW i am using official xbox 360 hd/av cable with optical into a yamaha receiver. sony xbr1 32"lcd display.

question:
is this problem evident on stand alone hd-dvd players? implicating the movie itself or hd-dvd platform as the cause?

to high-def digest staff:
please carefully look/listen for audio sync issues for your forthcoming review. this problem is manifest on other hd-dvd's as discussed at length on avs forums. people have posted that it is very obvious in batman begins when someone hammers a nail or something (read the post on avs forums). this audio sync problem is in addition to the other reported audio issues of poor audio quality(low volume and "overcompressed" ) with dd+ that makes it WORSE than sd-dvd dd.
I have noticed some flat sound with certain titles as well as volume differences between discs, but I haven't had any audio sync problems (I use the 360 add on). It may be a problem with the software install or the unit itself.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 AM

I would also check your TV and audio receiver settings. Sometimes image filters can delay the video a split second. Also, some receivers have a built in feature that can delay audio if you TV video filters delay the image on screen.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 PM

I also noticed some sync problems on Batman Begins, they were present when using the Dolby TrueHD-track and not during the whole feature, but coming and going. Any word if Microsoft has some upgrade in the works if this affects several titles?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:11 PM

I haven't noticed any sync problems with any title yet.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I haven't noticed any sync problems with any title yet.
Same here. But I'm not using Dolby TrueHD. Im just sticking to DD 5.1 via optical. I wonder if this could be an issue with DTHD. Curious, since my receiver is going to be the next thing I upgrade.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
Same here. But I'm not using Dolby TrueHD. Im just sticking to DD 5.1 via optical. I wonder if this could be an issue with DTHD. Curious, since my receiver is going to be the next thing I upgrade.
I also use optical (I have the 360 add-on, so there are no other option), but if I chose Dolby TrueHD on certain discs the sound has some extra "omph" eventhough it is not TrueHD for real. I guess the 360 put some extra bass into it when it converts it to DD.

Also thinking about upgrading the reciever, but will wait untill they are capable of playing DTS HD-Master via HDMI (as well as PCM 5.1 and True HD of course)
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 AM

My father and I noticed noticeable sync issues on "Phantom of the Opera." I do remember thinking the sync was off when I saw it in theatres - it's really somewhat distracting. But maybe it was with the disc/drive? Anyone else notice this on this title?