Game recommendations - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Default Game recommendations

Hey folks, up until a couple of years ago I owned every major system and lots of game for each. However in the past three years Iíve done the following: graduated university, started my career, got married, had a kid (sheís 2 now), and just this week started grad school. So while I used to get in plenty of gaming time, I now only have a couple of hours a week.

I currently have all 3 major systems. I got a Wii at launch, an Xbox 360 when Halo 3 came out, and I just got a PS3 this week. Despite having very little time for it, Iím trying to squeeze a bit more gaming time in to keep me sane! So Iím hoping you can help me out with some game recommendations for the 360. Hereís what I currently have on 360:

-Halo 3
-Kameo
-Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
-Tomb Raider Legend
-Viva Pinata

I know a lot of people like to get more bang for their buck, but I want to play some short games! Aside from Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, I think the last game I completed was Shadow of the Colossus for PS2. Iíd also like a game that lets me play in short bursts so that I can slip in 20 or 30 minutes here and there.

I like most genres except for FPSs. Iíve come to accept that I am terrible at them, and thatís why I donít enjoy them. I may give Bioshock and Portal a go, but otherwise I think Iíll leave them alone. I open to pretty much any other recommendation though.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 AM

Scene It: LCA is really great as it's easy to play, and is fun for anyone (movie buff or not). Not complicated with buttons like FPS or puzzle games, it comes with 4 remotes that have simple buttons on them for easy buzz in answers. It's great for parties, and has 2 modes of play: short play and long play, depending on how much time you have.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Bioshock is awesome, but will definitely suck time away from you. If you don't have at least a couple hours to invest at a time I would probably hold off. Its like playing in a really deep captivating movie world.

Get some of the Xbox Live Arcade titles, most are not super time consuming and easy to pickup and put down. My favorite currently is Castle Crashers, it's one to four players and a great little hack and slash game.

I do not recommend Scene It: LCA since it requires multiple people locally and has no online multiplayer support. I would recommend waiting for Scene It 2 which is coming out shortly.

Another recommendation is Rock Band or Rock Band 2, 2 is coming out next week. Yes its one of those silly plastic instrument games, but its fun to play and you can easily play for 10 minutes or however long you want and put it down. Its relatively easy to pickup and learn, you can buy a second guitar for your wife or let her sing on the mic and its fun in groups or by yourself. Good variety of music and you can always get more songs as new one are released each week that are compatible with Rock Band 1 & 2.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Top 360 games:

Gears of War - Relatively short game
Assassins Creed - Relatively short game
PGR 3 & 4 - Great for when you don't have a ton of time to play, do a race and quit.
Mass Effect
Forza 2
Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 PM

You have to get Bioshock, Gears of War, and Mass Effect.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefinger View Post
Hey folks, up until a couple of years ago I owned every major system and lots of game for each. However in the past three years Iíve done the following: graduated university, started my career, got married, had a kid (sheís 2 now), and just this week started grad school. So while I used to get in plenty of gaming time, I now only have a couple of hours a week.
I completely identify with this. Only I'm not in grad school yet (but plan to be soon) and my daughter is only 5 months. I used to dedicate exceptionally large amounts of time to playing games and now I'm lucky to get a couple of hours in on the weekend (and, of course, that's not even all in one session). Becoming a legitimate adult with actual responsibilities is a bitch sometimes.

Having said that, I second the others here who previously recommended Bioshock - it truly is a phenomenal game. Yes, it's a FPS but the controls are a bit more lose and forgiving than others in the genre (or maybe I was just able to come to grips with them quicker for some reason). I have problems with most console FPS's as well - for whatever reason I'm not able to find the precision needed to enjoy most of them. Then again, I come from the PC school of FPS's so maybe I'm expecting too much. I'm not sure what your area of study is in school but if you're at all interested in socio-political-ethical philosophy Bioshock exhibits a heavy Ayn Rand influence throughout. As I previously stated I've been gaming for many years and have played many games and Bioshock is something special. Plus I believe it's to be released on PS3 next month if you prefer the PlayStation controller over that of the 360's.

Other than that I would also recommend Rock Band. Though be careful, what you may plan to be just a quick 15 minute session can quickly balloon into 2-3 hours without you even realizing it. And Xbox Live Arcade is always a good bet as well.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 PM

Best 360 as far as I am concerned are:

Gears of War (great single player, good primer for Gears 2)
Call of Duty 2 (great single player campaign)
Call of Duty 4 (great single player campaign, beatable in a day providing your not playing on veteran)
Dead Space (creepy as shit, a technical powerhouse)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 PM

I once hated first person shooters but Call of Duty changed everything for me. If there is one game worth owning its Call of Duty 4, the on-line play is outstanding. Gears of war is also a fun game.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefinger View Post

I currently have all 3 major systems. I got a Wii at launch, an Xbox 360 when Halo 3 came out, and I just got a PS3 this week. Despite having very little time for it, Iím trying to squeeze a bit more gaming time in to keep me sane! So Iím hoping you can help me out with some game recommendations for the 360. Hereís what I currently have on 360:

-Halo 3
-Kameo
-Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
-Tomb Raider Legend
-Viva Pinata

I know a lot of people like to get more bang for their buck, but I want to play some short games! Aside from Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, I think the last game I completed was Shadow of the Colossus for PS2. Iíd also like a game that lets me play in short bursts so that I can slip in 20 or 30 minutes here and there.

I like most genres except for FPSs. Iíve come to accept that I am terrible at them, and thatís why I donít enjoy them. I may give Bioshock and Portal a go, but otherwise I think Iíll leave them alone. I open to pretty much any other recommendation though.
I'd look into the following in no particular order

Shooters (1st person and 3rd Person):
Bioshock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Gears of War

Open World:
Crackdown
Grand Theft Auto 4
Assassin's Creed

Horror:
Dead Space

RPG:
Fable 2
Mass Effect
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout 3 (next week)

JRPG:
Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey

Puzzle:
Portal on XBLA or Orange Box (which has Portal)

Fighter:
Soulcalibur IV
Virtua Fighter 5 Online
Fight Night Round 3
Dead or Alive 4

Brawler:
Devil May Cry 4
Ninja Gaiden II
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

XBLA:
Braid
Castle Crashers
Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 AM

bioshock is a wicked game unfortunately once you finish it i wasn't all that interested in playing it again