Flashing light of insane disc drive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 AM

Default Flashing light of insane disc drive

So my 360 got what I am calling the "flashing light of disc drive insanity." The power button flashes on and off, which apparently indicates that the drive is trying to do something.

The tray opens/closes randomy, not when I want it to, and even when the system is turned off. And of course warranty is out. What is ridiculous is that I already have my disc drive replaced before.

Does anyone have any idea for a fix besides call Microsoft and pay them to fix this crap?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaca View Post
So my 360 got what I am calling the "flashing light of disc drive insanity." The power button flashes on and off, which apparently indicates that the drive is trying to do something.

The tray opens/closes randomy, not when I want it to, and even when the system is turned off. And of course warranty is out. What is ridiculous is that I already have my disc drive replaced before.

Does anyone have any idea for a fix besides call Microsoft and pay them to fix this crap?
They will probably charge you more than a new Arcade costs...
Old 09-07-2008, 05:02 PM

I am kind of considering the eBay route on this one now that Arcade is $200. I wonder if its even worth it to get it fixed first. Of course then my problem is all my content licenses... I can't change them all again for like another 9 months. My 360 was fine for two years, then it got red ringed. Now the refurb unit scratched my discs, I had to argue to get a new disc drive, and now this disc drive (or some sensors about it) are defective.

I love my 360, but this is ridiculous. And don't tell me to get a PS3 because I already have one, thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 AM

support like that really annoys me. and usually theres nuthin you can do
Old 10-27-2008, 02:51 PM

It's $130 to have an out of warranty console repair. If your 360 is under three years new, it still is covered.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:20 AM

The only thing covered by the 3 year warranty is the RROD (3 red lights).

Everything else is only 1 year. If you're really out of warranty, finding a new Xbox Arcade console, moving over your HD, and getting a hopefully newer and possibly more reliable unit might be a better idea...

I just shipped my Xbox back for the EXACT same problem (it thinks it's ejecting a disc out of the blue and crashes games back to the dash for no reason)... thankfully I had the extended warranty through MS... here's hoping they actually get it fixed and I don't get a crappy refurb with worse problems. :/ (But it got to the point the system would only work for about 10-15 minutes before the phantom eject/crash so it was fairly useless as a game system)