HD DVD Add-on Memory - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 PM

Default HD DVD Add-on Memory

Just passing along something my buddy Major Nelson just posted about on his blog. It discusses the purpose of "HD DVD" showing up in the "Storage" Section of the System Blade.

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...er-memory.aspx

I was wondering how the persistent storage part of the HD DVD spec was going to be handled on the console. This must also be the reason why the MAC screen shots I've been seeing mention a memory device in addition to the HD DVD drive.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

If it tags memory - then why can't the add-on resume play once the film has been stopped?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
If it tags memory - then why can't the add-on resume play once the film has been stopped?
I still havn't go my unit yet. So it doesn't resume where you left off like when you play regular DVDs?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
I still havn't go my unit yet. So it doesn't resume where you left off like when you play regular DVDs?
You have to use bookmarks. Admittedly, I am looking forward to having a player which will resume playback - perhaps it will be added in a firmware fix sometime....
Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
You have to use bookmarks. Admittedly, I am looking forward to having a player which will resume playback - perhaps it will be added in a firmware fix sometime....
Surely the Tosh standalone players allow this?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
Surely the Tosh standalone players allow this?
The resume function is up to the studios to implement. The player would "resume" if the titles are authored to allow that however no studio has implemented the resume to date.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post
The resume function is up to the studios to implement. The player would "resume" if the titles are authored to allow that however no studio has implemented the resume to date.
So therefore, no Tosh players can resume a HD-DVD so far, as the discs do not allow for this in their authoring? I did not know that.