360 Elite: HDMI vs. Optical - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Default 360 Elite: HDMI vs. Optical

When using Dolby Digital or DTS, does using a HDMI cable vs. Optical Digital make a difference is sound quality? Is the bitrate of DD or DTS higher on HDMI?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 AM
Banned

i'd like to know too.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM

I don't know... it will depend on the 360.

The straight answer is, it CAN be. That doesn't mean that it will be. You both already know this... but a n00b coming in may not, so I'll put it here... HDMI is capable of passing 7.1 channels of 24bit/192Khz audio (Ultra Hi-rez audio), while Optical can not.

We will have to wait and see the 'final spec' sheet to know if the HDMI connection will allow for a higher bit rate. I do know this though, it will NOT support DD TrueHD or DTS MA (I was told by MS support that there isn't enough demand for those codecs to be supported. )

*edit* HERE is a link to the TOSLINK page from Wiki.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Yea, I know that the Elite won't be doing TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA (same canned response you got juicyfruit) but I hope that the fidelity of the audio sounds better because even now, the scaled down TrueHD track sounds better than the regular DD on Troy and Batman Begins. Even with HDMI 1.2a, it is still possible to have TrueHD "core" tracks pass thru, and it should sound even better than the optical.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:51 PM

Apparently the 360 will not be passing a lossless soundtrack over HDMI, however Amir has stated (over at AVS) that the Spring Dash update will have dts output for HD DVD.

I expect we'll have a similar situation to what we have on any Toshiba player, where the player will send a 1.5mb dts stream of whatever the source was. TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, dts-MA core etc, would likely all be sent as a 1.5mb dts stream to your AVR.

Hopefully the Fall dash update will add PCM passthrough since the 360 (by requirement of the HD DVD spec) has to decode TrueHD. Also, I assume all new 360's will end up having an HDMI out by so it would only make sense they would add lossless audio for both movies and games.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post
Apparently the 360 will not be passing a lossless soundtrack over HDMI, however Amir has stated (over at AVS) that the Spring Dash update will have dts output for HD DVD.

I expect we'll have a similar situation to what we have on any Toshiba player, where the player will send a 1.5mb dts stream of whatever the source was. TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, dts-MA core etc, would likely all be sent as a 1.5mb dts stream to your AVR.

Hopefully the Fall dash update will add PCM passthrough since the 360 (by requirement of the HD DVD spec) has to decode TrueHD. Also, I assume all new 360's will end up having an HDMI out by so it would only make sense they would add lossless audio for both movies and games.
The Xbox already decodes TrueHD, it just re encodes it to DD(and wit the spring update DTS). In the end we may see no difference between the 2 except for HDMI. I believe the quote from Microsoft is that there is no difference between the 2 except for the HDMI connection. They wanted to give those that were not able to take advantage of VGA or component the option of HDMI. The video is what was changed the audio was not. Amir has commented on lossless audio in his insider thread......
Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM

I know for a fact that we won't be seeing games on the Xbox 360 using lossless audio. It cost way too much money to develop games now, and to add lossless wouldn't make sense. We already have Dolby Ditigal 5.1 now, and there is nothing wrong with that for games. For HD DVDs, thats a whole other discussion. I hope that Uncompressed PCM 5.1 is added so that I can get my lossless audio. But even the 1.5mbps is better than what we got now, 448kbps, soooooooooooo last gen.