Any news about spring updates for 360 HD DVD add-on? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Any news about spring updates for 360 HD DVD add-on?

With the news that Toshiba sent out a new firmware upgrade for their systems. Will there be a similar upgrade for the add-on? \

It will be help so that it could solve the problems regardin CoM.

And if so, would it appear in the upcoming spring update for the 360?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Well have to wait for the full release notes on the Spring Update to see, but the HD-DVD drive is handled by a separate team then the dashboard so it's possible that there won't be anything new with the Spring Update and that there will be a separate Title Update for the HD-DVD player.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:45 PM

I hope the HD DVD team adds Uncompressed PCM 5.1 to the player because the update comes out May 7th, so there is still a glimmer of hope for TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA being converted to LPCM 5.1 via firmware update for the Elite
Old 04-13-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
I hope the HD DVD team adds Uncompressed PCM 5.1 to the player because the update comes out May 7th, so there is still a glimmer of hope for TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA being converted to LPCM 5.1 via firmware update for the Elite
I read somewhere in the forum that Uncompressed PCM 5.1 was a no-go for the add-on.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
I read somewhere in the forum that Uncompressed PCM 5.1 was a no-go for the add-on.
It's not just a no-go, it's impossible. The HDMI on the elite (which is the only way you would get 5.1 PCM anyway), will not support 5.1, only dual channel PCM. So next gen audio support is a lost cause right now. But apparently a DTS output option is coming, which is at least better than DD IMO.

So unless you can't live without HDMI for it's video qualities, don't bother with the elite and keep the original 360. The update (when it comes) will make both console versions pretty much equal as far as audio goes.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Special Member

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=5809

As previously stated the updates HAVE been spilt one for the HD DVD drive (which SHOULD be coming in the next few weeks) and the second one on May 7th for the Dashboard.

There havent been any details about the HD DVD update besides offering DTS and improved DD sound.....We will proabbly see increased compadibility though with the update....
Old 04-15-2007, 04:51 PM

When you say DTS, does that mean that Dolby TrueHD on HD DVDs can be scaled down to DTS instead of DD.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
When you say DTS, does that mean that Dolby TrueHD on HD DVDs can be scaled down to DTS instead of DD.
Yes I believe that is going to be what happens.......
Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 PM

That would be awesome because right now the core DTrueHD doesn't sound quite right. Don't get me wrong, it is still better than regular DD, but at 448kbps via the optical there is only so much you can get. Well, we can hope that the elite will do DD or DTS at 1.5mbps or better, since we know there is NO TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA or Uncompressed PCM 5.1, not even a pass through.
Still think I might be tempted to go Elite, HDMI seems too good to resist, along with 120GB hdd
Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on the forum and it only made sense to start here because I was going to ask you folks about the current DTS "issue" with the add-on drive. For example, I was going to consider importing THE FOG (1980) until I realized that it's only encoded with DTS-HD. Now am I correct in assuming I won't get any audio at all, or will it be down-converted to Dolby Digital? I bought BLACK RAIN the other day and selected the DTS 6.1 option and got sound, but was it simply defaulting to the Dolby Digital Plus track? If so, are there any projected dates that will include a DTS option? Thanks for any info!