HD DVD Addon, can I use it to get lossless audio on newer HTPCs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 AM

Default HD DVD Addon, can I use it to get lossless audio on newer HTPCs?

I bought an XBOX 360 HD DVD addon just before the rebate expiration date to get my 5 (well, 6, counting King Kong) disks, but have not taken it out of the box (I have an A3 for HD DVD viewing, and bought the addon as a backup). I don't plan on buying an XBOX, partly because I don't do any gaming (and my kids would monopolize it in any case), but also because I have read that the XBOX cannot send a lossless audio signal to a receiver via HDMI (either bitrate or converted to LPCM). My current receiver can accept up to 7.1 LPCM (HDMI 1.1) but no bitrate lossless codecs, and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon (Denon AVR 2807) as it plays nice with my A3.

Eventually, I plan on buying an HTPC that has a blu-ray drive and allows lossless audio to be sent over HDMI. It is my understanding that there are new sound/video cards plus software that now allow this to work and will likely be incorporated in the most recent and future HTPCs that have bluray drives.

My question is whether anyone currently owns such an HTPC with software/hardware that a) converts lossless codecs into LPCM, b) transmits the lossless 5.1/7.1 LPCM plus video to an AV receiver via HDMI, and c) supports an XBOX 360 addon hooked up via USB cable to serve as an HD DVD transport device to the HTPC.

If so, are you able to get lossless audio out from the HTPC using the addon?

Note: I realize that I could just get an HTPC with a combo blu-ray/hd-dvd drive, but I already have the xbox30 addon, so I might as well use it if it would give me lossless audio via the newer HTPCs, especially if the standalone blu-ray drives are less expensive than a combo drive (as may well be the case now or in the future).

Last edited by radman; 06-27-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Sorry, I can't help you with a response here, but I'm interested in knowing the answer to this as well. USB 2.0 must have the bandwidth. My guess is the key issue is whether or not the motherboard can process the data and send it out over HDMI. A chipset issue? I don't know...
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 AM

I don't know the answer either, however I think it might be possible.
Seeing as lossless audio can be played back from a image on a hard drive connected via usb 2.0;

But I don't know for sure I can only guess.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:23 AM

well vista or xp dont support lossless audio i know that. maybe this will help.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136260

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126197

i know nothing when it comes to audio equipment
Old 06-28-2008, 01:32 PM

You might want to check out this thread down in the Home Theater Gear forum -

Quote:
Finally, lossless audio for Media Center PC's from Auzentech
Well, I'm happy to say it's finally ready and will be available for purchase in September. It works with Windows XP or Vista and is the first sound card to support lossless audio from either Blu-ray or HD sources.

Santa Clara, CA – June 16, 2008: Auzentech, Inc. (www.auzentech.com) reveals today its non-downsampling, HDMI 1.3-native, PCI express audio combo card: Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater 7.1. The Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater 7.1 accepts video from either an internal or external connection, mixes it with digital audio, and outputs the combined video and lossless multichannel audio via a single HDMI™ 1.3 port. Moreover, the internal connection will exclusively support upcoming NVIDIA products, to create the ultimate in audio and visual entertainment.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 AM

Default Guess I'll have to wait 'til September...

I saw this at EngadgetHD after I posted my original question. Probably too soon to know for sure if this will work until these new cards start to be incorporated into HTPCs. I will revisit in a couple of months to see if anyone has been able to get lossless HDMI audio out of an XBOX 360 addon plus Auzentech-equipped HTPC.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM

You should be able to as long as you have a way to decode it and output it.