Xbox 360 and Surround Sound - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-09-2008, 10:19 PM

Default Xbox 360 and Surround Sound

I know that the 360 HD-DVD add-on cannot do lossless audio. However, I just recently purchased my first 5.1 surround setup and would like to at least be properly utilizing the surround options it can do.

My question is, what is the best method (short of buying a new 360 with HDMI) of sending the audio from the 360 to my Onkyo 605. I am currently using the VGA cable and its included L/R audio cables to run audio to the sub with two speakers currently doing my sound. What cables do I use to run from the 360 to the receiver for the highest quality surround sound (TOSlink? Optical? What's the difference?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Optical is the way to go. You will get the Dolby Digital 5.1 with the actual discrete channels that way. The component cord that came with it has a spot for the fiber optic audio cord.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWoOKIE View Post
Optical is the way to go. You will get the Dolby Digital 5.1 with the actual discrete channels that way. The component cord that came with it has a spot for the fiber optic audio cord.
Total agreement and I'll go one step forward. You can get your optical cable (or any other cables) for super cheap at www.monoprice.com

I picked up 2 for less than $8 shipped.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:27 PM

What these guys said.
I've been running my setup on 5.1 via optical and component inputs. Just updated my reciever to 7.1 but you're gonna experiance gaming at a whole new level now.
And buy all your cables from monoprice. I wish I had known about them sooner.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up, everything worked like you said. Furthermore, monoprice (which I had heard of before but forgotten the name of, so thank you), is a stellar deal on cable prices bought a new HDMI 1.3 and some higher quality optical cables for $11 shipping included.

Finally, one note related to the HD-DVD player seperately (I'm including this hear for anyone who comes after me, since it took me a good couple of hours to find this info elsewhere on the web):

The audio settings for the Xbox console and for the HD-DVD add-on are seperate. Even after changing my settings on the console to Dolby Digital 5.1, I was getting Digital Stereo sound out of my HD-DVD add-on. I knew the Xbox could pass DD and DTS, but was now worried that all DD+ and TrueHD tracks would be downcoverted to stereo.

However, if you press X on a controller (READ: Not Media Remote) then a menu comes up, choose advanced, then digital audio settings, and then you can select to have those advanced codecs output as either DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 instead of plain old stereo. Not sure why the HD-DVD drive manual or other Microsoft documents don't make this clearer, but it is what it is.

Again, thanks for the responses, and hope this info helps others in my position at some point.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 PM

Make sure you choose DTS over DD. You'll get a 1.5Mbps DTS track where DD only gives you a 640kbps. It's not lossless but it still sounds damn good.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM

The only problem i have is that im using HDMI cables. i dont see any optical cable inputs when using HDMI. Can someone help me out. Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djclueless View Post
The only problem i have is that im using HDMI cables. i dont see any optical cable inputs when using HDMI. Can someone help me out. Thanks
audio is passed through hdmi so u don't need an optical cable!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djclueless View Post
You will need to purchase this for your Audio needs, as the 360 doesn't pass AUDIO via HDMI:

Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM

So right now, I'm running a 5.1 system through optical off of my HD-DVD add on. With all the choices which audio set up do I want? Dolby TrueHD? DD 5.1? DTS? DTS+?

I'm a tad confused. haha