XBOX HD-DRIVE - Mixed Performance or Bad Disc? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 PM

Default XBOX HD-DRIVE - Mixed Performance or Bad Disc?

So I went to watch Batman Begins on my new drive and decided to explore the different options on the disc. One of them was Audio that uses a new sound mode called Dolby TrueHD, so I selected it and off I started watching the movie.

Well within minutes I noticed that certain scenes seemed to exhibit stutter and jitter when playing. So I decided to switch the sound back to standard Dolby and the problem went away completely.

So - is this a case of a bad disc or is there a performance problem with the USB interface into the 360 if there is TOO MUCH data moving back into it?

I wil test other movies and report back to see if I experiance similar problems!

Last edited by wkharris; 11-12-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:37 AM

I just dont understand USB movie streaming. mostly HD....Atleast Firewire....come on MS?...
Old 11-13-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I just dont understand USB movie streaming. mostly HD....Atleast Firewire....come on MS?...
USB 2.0 has a bandwidth of around 380mbps more than ten times what is needed to run a HD DVD movie.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkharris View Post
So I went to watch Batman Begins on my new drive and decided to explore the different options on the disc. One of them was Audio that uses a new sound mode called Dolby TrueHD, so I selected it and off I started watching the movie.

Well within minutes I noticed that certain scenes seemed to exhibit stutter and jitter when playing. So I decided to switch the sound back to standard Dolby and the problem went away completely.

So - is this a case of a bad disc or is there a performance problem with the USB interface into the 360 if there is TOO MUCH data moving back into it?

I wil test other movies and report back to see if I experiance similar problems!
Since the xBox has to down convert all the new audio formats to DD my guess selecting TrueHD may be a bit to much for the cpu so just use DD+ or DD. I don't own a xBox but others have said it's a good idea to clear the cache in the xBox prior to running a HD DVD movie.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post
USB 2.0 has a bandwidth of around 380mbps more than ten times what is needed to run a HD DVD movie.
480Mbps actually. Firewire is only 400.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:23 AM

So there is a way to clear cache on an Xbox? I will have to see if I can find it and then try it again. - Thanks for the suggestion - but my gues is your right - just leave everything playing at 5.1 DD
Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Xbox verse PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post
Since the xBox has to down convert all the new audio formats to DD my guess selecting TrueHD may be a bit to much for the cpu so just use DD+ or DD. I don't own a xBox but others have said it's a good idea to clear the cache in the xBox prior to running a HD DVD movie.
It will be interesting to compare the HD Drive solution to the PS3 Blue Ray at 1080P. I will be getting mine on Friday this week so I will post a comment once I get it hooked up.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:09 PM

To check out your problem, I just played Batman Begins in my HD-DVD add-on. I switched it to TrueHD and played the disc for about 15 minutes. It seemed to handle it just fine, there were no stutter or glitches.

Quote:
So there is a way to clear cache on an Xbox? I will have to see if I can find it and then try it again. - Thanks for the suggestion - but my gues is your right - just leave everything playing at 5.1 DD
According to the DVD-Town review, they also had no problem with the TrueHD soundtracksm and also reported that the decoded track seemed to actually sound better than the DD track on the disc.

However, they made some errors such as stating that the player did not upconvert SD-DVD, nor made any mention of the 1080p capability:

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/reviewof...ddvdaddon/4186
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM

To clear the cache I think you simply hold down the "A" button while the Xbox is booting (you see the white Xbox circle pass across the screen.) I haven't done this in a long time, but I'm pretty sure it's something simple like that.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
480Mbps actually. Firewire is only 400.
yes but why do you think All camcorders do Firewire and all external, more expensive HDD, mainly used for editing come with Firewire?

Because USB gives you 480mps in bursts while firewire is 400mps constantly. Firewire generally cannot go as long as USB though. But regardless, for video, firewire is supperior in every form and shape