Got Mine!!!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2006, 09:48 AM

Smile Got Mine!!!!!

Here is the bottom line i purchased a Samsung 61" DLP last month and this set loves Hi Def material having already invested in the Xbox and Xbox 360 i have been salivating for this moment for years it is finally here. Hi Def movies!
I purchasewd the add on at EB games on Nov. 9th popped in the included King Kong movie and let me say there is no going back i have pratically traded in my entire DVD collection. The only ones that i'm holding onto are the one that i know won't be out for a while, they just don't look that good on a 1080p tv.And yes HD DVD will play in 1080 with the VGA Ji Def cable available from MIcrosoft!
This is the way to view movies. I too purchased movies in anticipation such as Batman Begins,Chronicles of Riddick, Serenity, and all three Mission Impossibles!!!! I'll have more tibits later!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:36 PM

I have already been in the "no turning back mode" since buying A1, I barely even watch regular DVDs anymore (mostly because they are releasing HD-DVDs faster than I can keep up with).

I also just got the add-on and I agree with you that it is a superb value.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
I have already been in the "no turning back mode" since buying A1, I barely even watch regular DVDs anymore (mostly because they are releasing HD-DVDs faster than I can keep up with).

I also just got the add-on and I agree with you that it is a superb value.
Blurry,

If you could go back in time (I know... how cool would that be?)... would you still have purchased the A1, or would you just get the add-on.

I like yourself have the A1, but I'm trying to decide if the add-on is worth the extra $200. How much faster is it that the Toshiba... you know, the typical "how is it" questions...
Old 11-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post
If you could go back in time (I know... how cool would that be?)... would you still have purchased the A1, or would you just get the add-on.
Well, this is a difficult question because there are several factors at play. One thing the A1 has that the add-on does not is 5.1 analog out for home theatre. this is import for me, since I am an audiophile. The add-on converts TrueHD to dolby digital (though using its maximum bandwidth, so it sounds better than normal Dolby Digital), so some fidelity is lost. And current TrueHD releases are only using something like 48/24 audio resolution, but TrueHD is capable of much higher, such as 96/24 or even 192/24, which can really make a difference but Dolby Digital cannot come even close to carrying that resolution.

On the flip side, any gaming I used to do was on PCs, but I have been really impressed by the gaming capabilities of the 360, and I would not mind having a 360 in my home theatre room so that I could play those games on my 65" Mitsubishi (not to mention the sound system in that room). Plus, I expect that the 360 will come out with an HDMI connection, at which point we will be able to get the TrueHD streams directly to the receiver, with that I guess 360 may look better even for my home theatre room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post
I like yourself have the A1, but I'm trying to decide if the add-on is worth the extra $200. How much faster is it that the Toshiba... you know, the typical "how is it" questions...
Faster ? Well, the 360 add-on is definitely faster. After the normal XBox startup (which is pretty fast), starting an HD-DVD movie is much faster than the A1.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Thanks,

I have a friend who is planning on getting the add-on, so I'll just have him bring it over for my side-to-side comparrison before I go buy one.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:21 PM

Smile Perplexed In Georgia

Well here i am again concerning the Xbox 360 add on:
King Kong looks incredible and since it is the original theatrical release i will be trading it in i think and get the extended version. Here where i'm from Movie Stop does trade-ins on used HD DVD's. Have not broken the wrapper on my other titles yet as i want to slowly digest and chew on my first HD DVD this King Kong disc is facinating to say the least.
As i stated this morning this is the way movies were meant to be viewed an experience in my opinion that's superior to going to the cinema, now i didn't say would stop going to the movies!
And i have a question to 360 owners out there on the heat build up issue do those fans the third party makers have out there work and are they noisy?
Also is there a release date for X MEN LAST STAND for HD DVD? Isn't that a FOX video and if it is can STAR WARS be far behind? And will Geroge Lucas release it with Special Editions and then the Original releases aarrrggghhh!
Now they just released the so called ULTIMATE JAMES BOND COLLECTIONS. and i'm laughing inside at the suckers who bought 'em cause they could wind up in either HI DEF format very soon! GAD ZOOKS!!! And then they will be truly ultimate!

Last edited by dgtlmn; 11-13-2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: left out words
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 PM

Default Xbox 360 add-on fans

As for the add-on fans for the 360, my understanding is that depending on how/where your system is set up, you may not need one. If you have good control over the temperature of the room, and your 360 isn't in a cramped audio cabinet with poor air circulation, you should be fine. The one review I read for one (the Intercooler, I believe) tested that it did bring the exhaust temp down from the 360, but it was a minimal change. I have my unit sitting vertical and away from other components. It has worked flawlessly since launch day, without an add-on cooler.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtlmn View Post
Well here i am again concerning the Xbox 360 add on:
King Kong looks incredible and since it is the original theatrical release i will be trading it in i think and get the extended version.
I'm slightly confused by your post. On the one hand you're saying HD-DVD is the way to watch films. On the other you're saying you're trading in the theatrical HD-DVD of King Kong for the extended version. The extended version isn't available on HD-DVD.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irascian View Post
I'm slightly confused by your post. On the one hand you're saying HD-DVD is the way to watch films. On the other you're saying you're trading in the theatrical HD-DVD of King Kong for the extended version. The extended version isn't available on HD-DVD.
Apparently there are some rumors that an extended multi-disc version may be in the works. The reviewer of King Kong for DVD Town seemed to imply as much.

But I won't sell mine until I know for a fact that an extended version is coming out - and even then I will probably keep the theatrical version as well since I think the length is better for demonstrating the movie to friends (Even the length of the theatrical version is too long for many).
Old 11-14-2006, 05:45 AM

The Extended Cut should be on HD-DVD sometime in 2007. Universal just didn't have the time to have it ready for HD-DVD in time this year. It will most likely conincide with the release of The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy on HD-DVD from New Line. The studios like to time their releases to help promote each other.