Question for XBox 360 Owners from 360 newbie - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Question for XBox 360 Owners from 360 newbie

I picked up my XBox 360 today, in preparation for arrival of HD-DVD drive hopefully soon.

Set-up was far easier than I'd expected and I've now got it set up with a wireless card, optical sound connection and a 720p connection through component lead to my Pioneer PD-502 plasma. It took a lot less time than I'd thought it would but there is one major problem:

When I try and play a DVD or an old XBox game (as opposed to an XBox 360 game) the screen goes completely black. There is no picture.

I can fix this by setting the inaccessible cable switch on the back of the unit to the "normal" TV position but I shouldn't have to do that - just inserting the DVD should sort things out for me, not completely lose the picture!

It seems the problem is because I've set the standard mode up for 720p widescreen which is what the XBox 360 games support, whereas DVD and the older XBox games are 480p or whatever the PAL equivalent is.

WHY CAN'T THE XBOX CAN'T SWITCH BETWEEN THEM AUTOMATICALLY WHEN I PUT A DVD IN THE TRAY?

This is madness. Effectively if I want to view a DVD I have to use a dinky little switch on a cable that is pretty inaccessible (in my rack) connected to the back of the unit which then causes the unit to reboot in the required standard definition resolution. There is a software setting (accessible via the System menu) for switching the display mode but this warns you that you have to set the cable switch as well (so WHY have it as a software selection as well given that setting the cable switch seems to automatically change the software selection anyway??!!!).

I really can't believe it's meant to be that dumb. I can't pull the whole rack out just to flick the ditzy little switch every time I want to play a DVD or an older game.

Somebody please tell me there is a workaround to this problem?!! (OK so maybe the HD-DVD player will sort the problem out for standard DVDs if I make sure I use that to play DVDs, but that doesn't help when wanting to play older XBox games).

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

Last edited by irascian; 11-11-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:11 PM

Perhaps your TV has an issue with accepting 480p via component. Though it should still be getting a 720p signal when playing an original Xbox game (as the Xbox will upscale original Xbox titles). This is not an Xbox or cable problem.

Also note, that "switch" on the cable switches between HD output (in your case 720p), and NTSC output (480i).

If your TV has more than one component input, try the other input and see if that resolves anything.

Last edited by implant; 11-11-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irascian View Post
When I try and play a DVD or an old XBox game (as opposed to an XBox 360 game) the screen goes completely black. There is no picture.
I just went and tried right now with a SD-DVD disc. It played just fine over 720p. However, I just added the HD-DVD add-on yesterday and that came with a system update, so who knows, they may have fixed something....

I also tried with an original XBox game, and I did not get a black screen.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implant View Post
Perhaps your TV has an issue with accepting 480p via component.
If that were true why would setting the switch on the XBox cable from "High Def" to "TV" (it's still using the same component cable) which switches it from 720p to to 480p make the picture magically appear? The problem is not with the TV. The same discs play fine if the XBox 360 is set to 480p. It's something to do with when the XBox is in 720p mode and has to decide to deal with 480p content that's causing the problem.

Other XBox 360 owners tell me they have no issue at all so I've opened up a call to XBox support.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irascian View Post
If that were true why would setting the switch on the XBox cable from "High Def" to "TV" (it's still using the same component cable) which switches it from 720p to to 480p make the picture magically appear?
Switching it to "TV" changes the output to 480i, not 480p.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implant View Post
Switching it to "TV" changes the output to 480i, not 480p.
My bad! Doesn't really alter the issue though. The unit should automatically switch to that mode when a DVD or XBox game is inserted. It doesn't. Looks like next weekend I'll have to make a trip into town - I ALWAYS seem to be the guy who gets the defective unit
Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear your problems - I have not had any issues.

When you move the switch to TV on the cable, check your TV settings in the 360 blade menu (Display settings under video) - which is selected, 50Hz or 60Hz?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:22 AM

I didn't notice you were from the UK. I guess I didn't even think of all of the 50 vs 60Hz issues as well... how American of me
Old 11-12-2006, 11:27 AM

About your TV, is PD-502 the full model number? I can't find it listed on the Pioneer site. About the TV/HD switch, the switch actually selects which cable ends output video. It has nothing to do with resolutions. When the TV is selected, then the yellow composite plug can be used. When HD is selected, the three component ends can be used. Any changing of resolution is done in the dashboard. I think I might know what your issue is, but I want to have a look at the monitors manual to be sure.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 AM

It's only a second generation Pioneer plasma (I think they're currently on the 7th generation - 8th if you count the 5000EX series).

The comment about the switch setting on the back only affecting which lead is used makes absolutely no sense. THE ONLY LEADS CONNECTED ARE FOR COMPONENT VIDEO. If what the poster says is true then how come changing that switch setting to "TV" causes the XBox to reboot and then play the DVD/XBox game with no problems.

If I use the Blade menu to change the settings from 720p to 480p (Widescreen) what I get is shown on the blade menu as PAL 60. However the problem persists - I just get a completely black screen as soon as the tray closes until the point I press eject to get rid of it.

In summary here's what I get.
Blade setting: 780p Widescreen
Switch setting: Hi-Def position
Pioneer displays as 780p and XBox 360 games work fine

Blade setting: 480p Widescreen
Switch setting: Hi-Def position
Pioneer displays "Auto" but then nothing but black screen

Blade setting: 480p Widescreen
Switch setting: TV position
Pioneer displays 580i and then plays the DVD XBox game fine

Blade setting: 780p Widescreen
Switch setting: Hi-def position
Change switch setting to TV position: XBox reboots, Pioneer flashes 580i, DVD plays fine. No blade setting changes made or need to be made.

So the problem seems to be that the switch MUST be in the TV position for DVDs to play and that this causes a reboot where the XBox 360 resets itself to the 480p required (which the Pioneer somehow thinks is 580i). If left in the Hi-Def position it is impossible to play normal definition DVDs or games.

Last edited by irascian; 11-12-2006 at 11:51 AM.