Xbox HD DVD - First Impressions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Thumbs up Xbox HD DVD - First Impressions

Well I just got to try out my new toy, and here are my first impressions...

First, here is what I got in the box. King Kong does come w/ it btw, I don't know why engadget didn't have it there...

SET UP

Set-up was painless. You just pop the HD DVD installation CD into the 360,. connect the drive to the rear USB port, and you're ready to use the player in under a minute. At this point, I just put in a disk and the movie started almost immediately. So start up time is definitely not an issue

^^The disk tray is now divided into 2 buttons, so selecting the top part of the circle opens the 360 tray, and the bottom opens the external drive. Pretty convenient.

PQ

I haven't gotten the chance to watch much, but I did select some scenes from Batman begins and King Kong, and the picture looks great! Certain scenes (namely those that are dimly light) are sometimes hard to distinguish from a standard DVD, but other scenes really pop. Colors are also extremely rich, and the blacks are really deep. In other words, the 360 puts out a damn good picture from this drive, at least in my view. I suppose I would have to compare it to the output from a standalone player to really get an idea of how it measures up, but it looks good to me

Just as a side note, there was one part in king Kong where there was a very noticeable jitter in the picture. I rewound it and was able to repeat the problem, so I'm sensing that there may be an issue with the Kong transfer. I'll report back after I watch the whole film... so stay tuned

Audio

While the audio seemed great for both BB and Kong, I wasn't able to distinguish it much from standard DD 5.1, which is what the 360 outputs anyway, so in my opinion the down sampling from 5.1 + and TrueHD really doesn't make much of a difference. Also, the volume level of Kong seemed much higher than BB, and some of the sound in BB seemed a little flat. So not as spectacular as I was expecting, but maybe other people will have better luck w/ their receivers. On the other hand, I also use a optical switcher because I have 3 opt. outputs from various sources, so that may have made a slight difference. I can't be sure.

OVERALL

Overall I am really quite satisfied with the drive. Though the audio might not be a large improvement of standard 5.1, the picture is great and the drive seems to have no trouble streaming the data to the 360. So all in all, it sure beats DVD

Last edited by Pat H; 11-09-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the update ! Mine will be available from my local Gamestop store either tomorrow or the beginning of next week.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:26 AM

UPDATE

I've been investigating the picture stutter I saw in Kong, and apparently people over at AVS are complaining about the same thing. It looks like the first batch of Kong disks may have problems
Old 11-10-2006, 12:34 AM

So I can take that as confirmation that King Kong is NOT a combo yes ?

As far as the skipping is it happening in a pan move like in the begining of Sahara ?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

As far as the skipping is it happening in a pan move like in the begining of Sahara ?
The copy of KK that came w/ the drive is HD DVD only. And not having seen Sahara, I have no way of knowing what you're referring to. But the scene in which the jump occurred was relatively stationary. I should mention that I just watched U 571 all the way through on the 360, and it had no problems, so it's not the drive causing the issues.

Just as a side note, the picture this thing put out during U 571 was incredible, and I can't imagine a standalone player being that much better, except for audio. So a great use of $200 to say the least. I recommend getting it if you own a 360, you won't be disappointed!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Just as a side note, the picture this thing put out during U 571 was incredible, and I can't imagine a standalone player being that much better, except for audio. So a great use of $200 to say the least. I recommend getting it if you own a 360, you won't be disappointed!
Have you tried the SD-DVD upscaling feature yet ?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Nice write up Pat!

Can I just ask how you have this connected, vga or component? Also, how silent is the machine?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:34 AM

I was under the impression that the 360 HD Drive was scheduled for release at the end of the month. My order with Amazon (got in before they were sold out) says release Nov. 27 and delivering it on Dec 5-8.
I would love to have mine now. Is there a place to buy this thing at retail??
Or is it a special order at GameStop?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:43 AM

Ok. Found out my answer. Gamestop has them ready to ship. ORdered mine and have it shipped next day. I love Amazon but I am not waiting. I will have mine for Thanksgiving viewing pleasure.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

I have sahara and don't have a problem with it... were there multiple releases to fix a problem?