Does anyone know if you can get the most recent HD DVD Add-on Firmware on Disc/DL? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Does anyone know if you can get the most recent HD DVD Add-on Firmware on Disc/DL?

Anyone have a link for them on Xbox.com or is there a way to get MS to send you a disc? After all if my 360's HDD ever dies then my Add-on rolls back to its original firmware, so it'd be great to insure that it'll keep working in the years to come.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 PM

you can find them on xbox.com, but you would never need to download them, microsoft would never take the updates down from xbox live for any reason...all you'd ahve to do was instal the drive on the new xbox and then put a movie in while connected and youd be set
Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM

I must have overlooked them. Still I'd like to put them on disc just in case.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post
you can find them on xbox.com, but you would never need to download them, microsoft would never take the updates down from xbox live for any reason...all you'd ahve to do was instal the drive on the new xbox and then put a movie in while connected and youd be set
I was wondering about this - I just got an HD DVD add-on drive for use with my PC. Are their updates for the drive itself, not updates you would install on an Xbox console?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
I was wondering about this - I just got an HD DVD add-on drive for use with my PC. Are their updates for the drive itself, not updates you would install on an Xbox console?
No the drive is just a drive as far as I can tell. 2 of my 3 have never touched an XBox360 and they function just fine (one under XP the other under Vista)
Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinLupinSan View Post
Anyone have a link for them on Xbox.com or is there a way to get MS to send you a disc? After all if my 360's HDD ever dies then my Add-on rolls back to its original firmware, so it'd be great to insure that it'll keep working in the years to come.
The software isn't kept on the drive, your add-on drive won't "roll back." If you get a new Xbox, plug in the drive, pop a HD-DVD in, and if you need an update, it will download. But since you're asking, MS only has the update for December 2007, you have to download the latest after you install it.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...r/download.htm
Old 05-28-2008, 04:05 PM

It's not a firmware, but a software update for the XBox 360s HD-DVD playback itself. Firmware updates are permanent to the hardware unless you update/downgrade it yourself. The update should have no effect on PC functionality.